25g a few questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

project

AC Members
Jul 18, 2007
Well im just waiting for my tank to cycle so that i can get some freshwater puffers in there, i have a bio wheel, UGF, Heater, etc.

Now my questions are if you have time to answer them?

I keep reading about feeding snails to puffers and how the magically show up im peoples aquariums? how is that or do you need to buy some snails and introduce them into the aquarium cycle? can you buy these at your LFS?

Second:

and then this question is, if i dont get puffers and just keep a community tank what would be a good clean up type fish ?

Thanks for the info.

matt

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC!

A lot of snails are well-known hitchhikers. Several snails have been introduced into tanks simply by the use of plants and other decors from a tank infested with snails. Pond snails are very popular and will breed very quickly. Overfeeding is often the cause for population explosions.

As for good clean-up type fish, the best I can recommend is simply by vacuuming the gravel. No need to get a fish that will add up to the bioload. Cories are still one of those that would forage the bottom for food but do make sure the substrate does not have sharp edges which can damge their barbels. Make sure that any bottom dwellers you get must be given their share of nutritious foods, not just the leftovers. They need proper foods like other fish do. What fish are you planning to get if you can't get puffers?

project

AC Members
Jul 18, 2007
just an assortment of differant communal fish such as cherry barbs, maybe a betta, just something like that, right now my tank has 4 mickey mouse platys and 4 regular red platys, 2 cherry barbs and a couple small minnows.

so basically snails can just appear when you buy new fish or live plants that type of thing.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Only with the new plants. Snails have a tendency to cling on the plants or be introduced while in their eggs. You can't get them simply by introducing a fish. They don't cling on the fish except some parasites which can be a problem. I would say you have to be careful in selecting your fish. Listen to your lfs but do not take their advice almost immediately. If in doubt, you can ask us away.:) Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. More research on the fishkeeping basics will actually help you understand better. Most lfs try to make convincing statements just to entice their customers and you have to be careful of that.

plantling

One bulwet left!
Feb 10, 2007
South Carolina
I agree with what jm1212 said. Puffers are cute, but they can be very high maintenance. When I tried to keep a figure 8 in my community tank a few years back, it nipped a lot of my other fish, including some platy and even some of my plants. And then there is the snail diet that they prefer and need at least occassionally to keep their beaks from overgrowing. You may want to do more research on Puffers if you decide to go that route.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have heard that dwarfs are the only puffer that don't need snails, but if they show up in your tank they will take care of them in no time. I guess your only options are either get exclusively puffers or no puffers at all...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store