265 Gallon FOWLR build out.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gman2012

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Pasadena, MD
I am going to take your advise about the flexible tubing for the output of the pump(didn't even think of the vibration and potential noise. Thanks). I will post some more pics later tonight as I have glued the last few pieces and should be able to test with water tomorrow... the check valve is just to slow the flow if i loose power. i know they can fail from time to time so i will not rely just on that. plus I will make sure that there is enough extra space between the 3 sumps that will be hooked up together for the water from the main tank.

gman2012

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Pasadena, MD
So after working out a few leaks here and there I have water in the tank and it is running pretty good... I will try to get some pics tonight and get them on. I think I am just going to first start with just live rock as the filtration and then in a couple months setup a refug on the side of the main sump. I hope to have the tank up and running by this weekend.... try to empty it tonight and start the slow fill of the RO water... with the 2 filters I have, I hope to be ready for salt by saturday... Then we are off to NY for the last game at Shea...GO METS!!!! and then the fun process of moving live rock and fish from the other tanks into the big tank...

gman2012

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Pasadena, MD
Sorry for no pics.. So after about 24 hours of no drips I decided to empty the tank, mental note when using a 1.25" pipe to empty 265 gallons make sure you have a valve to slow down the flow of gravity... I have an exterior drain near our back door that I extended an overflow to which was the above pipe which under the pressure of the amount of water that is in the tank almost overflowed the drain which would have then went back into the house... not that I will be doing that again it was very interesting to say the least... anyway I am now back in the process of filling with RO water which as of the morning was only about 1 tenth filled after about 10 hours... I have about 90 gallons of water from the two 40 gallons with the fish already in them as well as some bins that have some live rock in them so that will eventually help once i get close enough...

Mr_Biji

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
Gaithersburg, MD
Wow, that looks like it's going to be beautiful!

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
looks good. think you will make your deadline?

gman2012

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Pasadena, MD
so i am not totally sure I will make the deadline of getting fish in the tank by this weekend but i have it filled most of the way and have some live rock running in it right now... I have about another 30 or 40 gallons of water to go but need to allow everything to settle really good before i get the fish into it.. We also have some other things to do around the house before this weekend so they will take priority. On the plus side, we have decided to take off work on Friday(our daughters 1st birthday) and take her to the Baltimore Aquarium. For those who have not been there before it is really nice. we can't wait to see her face when she sees all the rays, sharks and everything else they have there. plus it will give us a chance to take a break from getting the house cleaned up.
and drool over the tanks that they have. They have a really nice reef setup with some huge Red Sea Sailfin tangs. it would be nice to get some frags from their tank... oh well i guess it is time to go to bed. I will try to post pics later this week once the water clears up more...

gman2012

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Pasadena, MD
Ok so I did get the fish into the tank this weekend. I will get some pics up tonight when i get home from work. everyone seems to be doing good.. The Lion is fairly active and I did see the Wasp fish out and about this morning when I looked at the tank... I still have to scape the liverock as right now I just have 3 piles of rocks in the tank... I want to try and make some good caves and platforms out of what I have once i get a free weekend to just work on that... I am still trying to figure out if I want to have a wide open tank or make some really big caverns. i guess I have some time to figure that out...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store