27 hex and Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks like you've got it down spudboy.

Sounds like the perfect combo for that pringles can...er..I mean.. tank. (kidding!)

From what I've read, neons can be perfect makes for a betta. Ghost shrimp, bristle-nose pleco and big snails too.

Joel

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
If your betta isn't bothering the ghost shrimp, then he should do fine with the neons. Neons need really good water quality, so make sure your tank is well cycled for them--if it has been sitting empty a while, and recently only had a betta and shrimp, it might not have a lot of beneficial bacteria for lots of fish. If you have another tank, you can help the cycle along by adding some filter media from the established tank to this one when you add your neons. Also be sure to test the water and do water changes as needed. Your neons will tell you if anything is amiss by fading in color. But, I think that combo will make for a very nice tank. Once you know the betta won't eat the shrimp, you could even get some fancier shrimp like crs or something.

Emily

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Would bettas be more apt to behave if you introduced them into a tank after neons, etc?

Joel

spudboy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Riverside CA
I have considered cories for the bottom but I was concerned about the footprint. Seems like a small space for cats. Hex at 10 inches a side. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I always have 'extra' bags of ceramic rings in a few of my other tank filters for my inevitable new projects. If and when the tetra's go in, so will the rings. As my wife always says, you can't have enough bacteria laying around.

spudboy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Riverside CA
These pictures show how much space I have to work with. I'm hoping that the hygro grows tall to fill some of space up top. Maybe find a nice tall piece of driftwood.

IMG_20130205_190040_0.jpgIMG_20130205_190013_0.jpg

IMG_20130205_190040_0.jpg IMG_20130205_190013_0.jpg

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
heres what i would have done:

bottom: pair of ram or apistos or kribs
bottom *feeder*: BN pleco ( bristlenose )
mid: 12 neon tetras
top: some sort of top dweller.. not good at this lol. i only raise african cichlids... so they occupy most of the tank specs i listed ( bottom/mid/top )

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Corydoras pygmaeus would be nice in that tank. They are a cory, but not "Really" a bottom dweller, they hang near the bottom. Then add a small school of top dwellers (Ex: Brass tetras) and it will look nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store