29 Gallon Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Baney1909

AC Members
Oct 15, 2019
OK OK, I know you are coming here to yell at me for this idea but just listen. For a while I've really wanted to have a Cichlid tank, specifically peacocks, I am in love with this fish. Right now I don't have the room or the budget to buy a 55 gallon aquarium. I've already bought and added sand and aragonite sand for the bottom of the tank. Today I am building many thin caves along the back stacked up for the Cichlids to hide in. My plan is to add a 75 gallon filter later on and an 18 inch air stone to put along the back wall. I am willing to work hard to keep up the maintenance on this tank and again I KNOW that its a little small anyway.

Plan A: IF I AM ABLE, how many peacocks can and should I put in there (I want have a good/smaller amount but enough to the point where they wont kill each other). Also for this to work do I need to get rid of my Demasoni?

Plan B: I would go with mbunas but I heard that they don't do good in there because of the aggression in a small tank (I also heard peacock are more peaceful but still territorial.

Plan C: Get 1 peacock Cichlid and put it in my 29. If this is possible or whatever, what are some tank mates that can go with it? I know not a lot because of how high the ph and other factors. If I get the peacock will I have to get rid of the Demasoni?

I really want this to work and i'm willing to work hard for this tank. Sorry I forgot to put this up there my biggest tank is a 29 gallon. Please help me.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
29G isn't really ideal as you already know for multiple Malawi fish so first off do you know what the hardness and alkalinity of your tap water is?

How big is the Demasoni you currently own and how long have you had it?

Baney1909

AC Members
Oct 15, 2019
29G isn't really ideal as you already know for multiple Malawi fish so first off do you know what the hardness and alkalinity of your tap water is?

Around 78 degrees at most times and 7.8 ph i test my ph every 5 days / water perameters

Baney1909

AC Members
Oct 15, 2019

My demasoni is still a baby about an inch and a half?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I was kind of hoping for someone to yell at you. :p

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't go with A, B or C and I definitely wouldn't want to do so after packing a 29g full of hardscape that is taking up even more valuable space.

Reactions: fishorama

Baney1909

AC Members
Oct 15, 2019
I was kind of hoping for someone to yell at you. :p

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't go with A, B or C and I definitely wouldn't want to do so after packing a 29g full of hardscape that is taking up even more valuable space.
I forgot to tell you I have a planted 55 gallon that dont have many fish, I can switch the tanks if needed but itll take the whole day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store