3 questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gravitycure

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
hi - just a couple of quick questions

10 g tank: 2 small rocks, platy, penguin tetra & 3 zebra danios.

how long should an ammonia level take to "level off" after set up?
it has been running a week with a few 25% water changes. nitrites are low.

do i need a nitrate kit?

what is the fish tank limit?

thanks

.f.

:cool:

ps - love this forum

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Mississauga,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
If your test kit is showing u have nitrites then i would assume your ammonia should be reading 0 or close to it. When your nitrites read 0 you will know nitrates are present. Nitrate kits are good for testing water to get a feel for when a water change is in order. I have no idea about tropical fish so i wont comment on how many u should have ect.

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
Smaller tanks like this can sometimes take up to 5-6 weeks to cycle, but usually closer to about 3 months. This is a pretty generalized estimate, because there is a difference between a tank just being cycled and it being "mature".

Keep a close eye on your water quality and watch your feeding (feed sparingly). with 5 fish in a 10g - you may have started out with a few too many.

as far as total capacity of your tank...there is a very firm scientific answer to that question...
it depends

some may crucify me for saying this, but the old rule of 1" of fish/gallon of water is a starting point, but you HAVE to consider other factors as well before you actually go out and buy 10 fish that are 1" long.

These are my general rules (and I stress general) that should be taken into consideration -

1)always use the maximum size a fish will grow to as your inch measurement - not how big it is in the LFS tank

2)I never put a fish in a tank if the fish will grow to more than 1/3 -1/2 the width (front to back) of the tank.

3)some fish produce more waste and are messier than other - for these guys I usually double or triple their inches.

4)less can be better - one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen was a 70 gal planted tank with a school of about 20-30 neons.

5)I try to keep social fish in groupings (tetras/barbs/danios - 4-6+,
livebearers - 1male/2-3females, etc)

6)when you are dealing with a 10g, after you've added your decorations and gravel - you are left with about 8 gallons of water maybe less

to summarize - read up on your fish before you buy to find out what their natural habitat and behavior is like - if you can match this and provide them with appropriate space, water quality, and food you're golden.

Well I hope you find this helpful and I haven't confused you too much:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store