315G Plywood Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Yes, it goes on brown, turns black when it dries, and when you add water to the tank it slowly goes back to the same brown you painted on when it was wet. I actually like the color. The overflows dont photograph well but they work great! I completed the plumbing tonight, filled the tank and fired up the pumps! No leaks and great flow. Still waiting for my Poret foam to arrive but I have gutter guard over the boxes to prevent fish suckage!

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
I noticed that my sump developed a leak after I installed the 2 overflow boxes. Not sure what caused it or where it really was but I decided it would be easier to replace the sump instead of a hit/miss repair job. Beacause the sump was 84" long, I knew had to cut it in half to get it out. The first step was to remove the water, pumps and filter mdeia from the old sump. I stored the media in a 29G with a power head to keep it fishy fresh

After removing the media, I went to work with the recip saw and cut the old sump in half. I had a little water spillage as you can see!

Once I got the old sump out it was time for the new one. I used 2-50G containers with a smaller container to hold the filter media. The water enters the small container, flows through the filter media and into the larger container. The larger container will hold about 6" of water, heaters, and the return pumps.

All installed and running. You can see the 2-50G containers are joined by a 1.5" pipe to equalize the water levels. This keeps one from running dry and the other from overflowing. I had to make a small wooden gasket of sorts to give the bulkheads something firm to bite into to get a good seal.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Yes, it was a beaut as you put it but I had already stop using the 2 filter socks on each end so there was waisted space. This will less prone to leaks and if needed I can take it out.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Tank is pretty much finished. I am going to add a small viewing window in the side of the stand that will allow me to see the water level in the sump without having to remove a shelf insert.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store