37 Gallon Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
holy moly, i had a whole wall of text typed out, but my internet crapped out on me!!!

anywho, my point was, if your lowest possible tank temp is lower than the recommended temp, don't do it. a quick google search says 68 is too low for bettas. think of the rule of the jungle provided to us by the Jungle Book. If you kill it, you have to eat it. Sher Khan the tiger taught us this when we were like 10! :thm: it's a good rule to live by imo. i just like to think that each fish i have costed me at least $1,000, so i treat them right by anyone's standards, and no one can yell at me.

Last edited by a moderator:

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
holy moly, i had a whole wall of text typed out, but my internet crapped out on me!!!

anywho, my point was, if your lowest possible tank temp is lower than the recommended temp, don't do it. a quick google search says 68 is too low for bettas. think of the rule of the jungle provided to us by the Jungle Book. If you kill it, you have to eat it. Sher Khan the tiger taught us this when we were like 10! :thm: it's a good rule to live by imo. i just like to think that each fish i have costed me at least $1,000, so i treat them right by anyone's standards, and no one can yell at me.
lol i hate when that happens

well, i think ill go for it. when i get a stronger lgiht that wil warm the tank up

you are hilarios glabe :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ok, about the 5 gallon bow, ive decided to do a riparium!!! :)

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
wouldnt a crab tank be a riparium? what is a riparium anyway? i heard it had something to do with waterfalls.
it has nothing to do with waterfalls.

a vivarium is where there is a terrrestrial environment and an aquatic environment, and both have inhabitants.

a paludarium is where the envrionment is terrestrial, and there is an aquatic area, but not suited for aquatic creatures. (water dragons, frogs, turtles, uses a waterfall)

a vivarium is where there is an emmersed plants area, but no land.

you cang probly get a better expanation.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
check out hydrophytes stuff. thats ripariums.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A vivarium is any such enclosed 'habitat' or container for observing flora and/or fauna. Aquariums, terrariums, paludariums and ripariums are all vivariums.
A riparium is a type of paludarium with a circulating flow of water (waterfalls?). Ripariums simulate the area around river banks/streams. Ripariums don't usually include an actual terrestrial section (like a true paludarium) but does try to simulate that it's there (or nearby). I see them as kind of a marshy, flood zone habitat with both immersed and emersed growth.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
A vivarium is any such enclosed 'habitat' or container for observing flora and/or fauna. Aquariums, terrariums, paludariums and ripariums are all vivariums.
A riparium is a type of paludarium with a circulating flow of water (waterfalls?). Ripariums simulate the area around river banks/streams. Ripariums don't usually include an actual terrestrial section (like a true paludarium) but does try to simulate that it's there (or nearby). I see them as kind of a marshy, flood zone habitat with both immersed and emersed growth.
this. Personally, I think that ripariums look almost like indoor ponds IMO. (They have no land, but plants growing out of the water)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store