4 days, still no nitrites...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
I'm cycling my first tank with pure ammonia and after 4 days, the ammonia has not dropped below 4 ppm and I have seen no nitrites. I'm getting impatient :) Am I doing anything wrong?

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
im not qualified to give advice as I am a beginner myself, but on my first tank i started noticing small Nitrite spikes around day 5. Also how much ammonia did you put in your tank from the bottle ?? i put some in a new tank I got today and put way to much ammonia in and got a reading of 8 ppm, so i was wondering how much you put in to get a level of 4 ppm ???

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'm cycling my first tank with pure ammonia and after 4 days, the ammonia has not dropped below 4 ppm and I have seen no nitrites. I'm getting impatient :) Am I doing anything wrong?
Nope doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, just being impatient like you said. Just wait the nitrites will start to rise eventually it just takes some time.

so i was wondering how much you put in to get a level of 4 ppm ???
It will be different amounts for different size tanks. You can get an idea if you learn what size tank columbus has and how much he used. The best way though is to just add little by little and keep testing.

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
It's a 10 gallon tank and I added about 1.5 teaspoons of ammonia for a reading of about 4 ppm. I guess I just need to wait it out more. Thanks!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
It took almost 3 months for my first 10g to cycle and it took about 7 weeks for me to see nitrites. Patience is key if you don't have seeded media to kick start your cycle.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:thm:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The first tanks always takes the longest. Once you have a well established tank, future tanks will be half the waiting. Learn to be patient and to do it right the first time. You'll have less problems in the future if you do. This is one part you can't hurry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store