40 breeder build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Well I inadvertantly agreed to take over my dads brackish tank since they're moving a ways away, he's got a figure 8 puffer I think, not exactly sure, and a couple of little brown crabs and a goby like fish, the last 3 he caught in a casting net in the Chesapeake bay while getting some grass shrimp to feed the puffer.

I want to do pool filter sand with some clay pots and stones with either a magnum hob or a canister I have somewhere. I'm cleaning the tank with some water and white vinegar today and gonna start to cycle it tomorrow to prep once I get the salt and sand.

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
B
Well I inadvertantly agreed to take over my dads brackish tank since they're moving a ways away, he's got a figure 8 puffer I think, not exactly sure, and a couple of little brown crabs and a goby like fish, the last 3 he caught in a casting net in the Chesapeake bay while getting some grass shrimp to feed the puffer.

I want to do pool filter sand with some clay pots and stones with either a magnum hob or a canister I have somewhere. I'm cleaning the tank with some water and white vinegar today and gonna start to cycle it tomorrow to prep once I get the salt and sand.
Bump

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
And..........???

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
its a build thread, which implies he will update it as he progresses with the build. its right there in the title I guess we just wait for some photos I wouldn't mind seeing the crabs and gobies

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
its a build thread, which implies he will update it as he progresses with the build. its right there in the title I guess we just wait for some photos I wouldn't mind seeing the crabs and gobies
Yes. And if he bumps it without any updates implies to me there was a hidden question that nobody answered. A build thread is interesting when there is progress pictures. I am waiting for those. It is unclear to me if he still planning or already started. I assume it is cycling now?

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
It's been awhile. I meant to ask about the marineland aquarium bacteria and thought I did but I guess not. I used it to start the tank along with a sponge filter from another tank used led strips mounted to a board for lighting. Have the puffer goby and got some Dalmatian Molly's which have had 2 fry that I've seen

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
The crab has disappeared out of the shell and can sometimes be seen in the lava rock and for right now the heater is just for show. The tank is maintaining 75 degrees because it's on my 3rd floor.

I'm thinking about throwing a minnow trap in the bay and quarantining a few to put in

Last edited:

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Does anyone have any ideas on hardy plants for a brackish aquarium? After some research I put in a few Java ferns some anacharis and a little bit of Christmas moss attached to a stone. The only thing left is the Christmas moss. I'm sure the led's aren't the best for growing and was thinking of installing a t5 ho ballast on top of the shelf with my lights and running tombstones below inbetween the led strips. Being that I'm an electrician the only thing that would cost money is the lamps

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Just a quick pic of the grass shrimp that's survived the puffers fury, and the goby peeking out for food

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store