40 gallon setup help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
i have a 40 gallon tank...thats it... when i was younger i had a 30 gallon setup that i insisted my mother buy me expensive fish..never did any research on species (didnt know i had to then)...but i would love to have a partially exotic freshwater setup..back then i had an african butterfly fish that stayed on the surface of the water and ate crickets and a dolphin looking fish and id like to stick to that kind of community...id like to create a community of 4-8 creatures (dont have to be fish) that work together and are not as common as regular pet store fish....help please!!!

EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE NEEDED ALSO!!

Bstlouisman

AC Members
Mar 17, 2013
Joplin, MO.
Real Name
Ja'Mes A.
i have a 40 gallon tank...thats it... when i was younger i had a 30 gallon setup that i insisted my mother buy me expensive fish..never did any research on species (didnt know i had to then)...but i would love to have a partially exotic freshwater setup..back then i had an african butterfly fish that stayed on the surface of the water and ate crickets and a dolphin looking fish and id like to stick to that kind of community...id like to create a community of 4-8 creatures (dont have to be fish) that work together and are not as common as regular pet store fish....help please!!!

EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE NEEDED ALSO!!
What type of communtiy tank your enterested in? Aggressive or passive fish? Also some of the equipment you'll need depends on the type of tank you're planning on having.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
What type of communtiy tank your enterested in? Aggressive or passive fish? Also some of the equipment you'll need depends on the type of tank you're planning on having.

i think id like a passive community.. like maybe a few fish..suckers.. a shrimp...i guess kind of like finding nemo lol if that helps any

Bstlouisman

AC Members
Mar 17, 2013
Joplin, MO.
Real Name
Ja'Mes A.
i think id like a passive community.. like maybe a few fish..suckers.. a shrimp...i guess kind of like finding nemo lol if that helps any
Well that should be fairly easy to figure out. I personally run a HOB filter and a canister filter on all the tanks I have. That way if one fails or needs cleaning I always have a back up. One or the other should work for what you need. I'd shop around at your LFS and online to see what peeks your interest. Sometime in the past I picked one fish that is my so called "center piece". Then I would choose tank mates based on the center piece. Be careful not to over stock your tank because some passive fish can be agitated by limited space. Example, if you in a crowded bar even though you're a laid back person if someone steps on those new kicks you will become agitated. Haha! That was pretty back but you get my point. LOL!

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
Well that should be fairly easy to figure out. I personally run a HOB filter and a canister filter on all the tanks I have. That way if one fails or needs cleaning I always have a back up. One or the other should work for what you need. I'd shop around at your LFS and online to see what peeks your interest. Sometime in the past I picked one fish that is my so called "center piece". Then I would choose tank mates based on the center piece. Be careful not to over stock your tank because some passive fish can be agitated by limited space. Example, if you in a crowded bar even though you're a laid back person if someone steps on those new kicks you will become agitated. Haha! That was pretty back but you get my point. LOL!

lol....yea makes sense...looks like ill shop around this weekend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store