50 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
So I just got a tank and have begun cycling it and I'm wondering how I should aquascape it and what i should put in the tank it's dimensions are 48 inches long 13.5 inches wide and 20 inches tall.
I kinda want Bolivian rams Khuli Loaches and a Pleco of some sort any help is appreciated thank you.

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
Maybe also some tiger barbs as a centrepiece fish. because I've read if i get enough they will be so that they will mess with the other tiger barbs instead of the other fish. But I think a single smaller pleco would be good for the tank also some assassin snails and shrimp.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
The kuhli will definitely like soft fine grain substrate; and some drift wood to hide under.

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
Sand And a large piece of driftwood, is there anything else maybe the numbers of the fish.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Sand And a large piece of driftwood, is there anything else maybe the numbers of the fish.
I'd go with 20 kuhli which is sort of a bare min. The 20 high is not a great tank for them; a 20 long would be a lot more. need a lot of room to swim when they are in the mood to swim.... no pleco in a 20 high; if you absolutely must have a pleco then a clown pleco. Lots of plants is always a plus. hornworth and italia val are easy to grow.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Er that should be i would go with 6 khuli NOT 20 which is sort of a bare min....

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
So I just got a tank and have begun cycling it and I'm wondering how I should aquascape it and what i should put in the tank it's dimensions are 48 inches long 13.5 inches wide and 20 inches tall.
I kinda want Bolivian rams Khuli Loaches and a Pleco of some sort any help is appreciated thank you.
Maybe also some tiger barbs as a centrepiece fish. because I've read if i get enough they will be so that they will mess with the other tiger barbs instead of the other fish. But I think a single smaller pleco would be good for the tank also some assassin snails and shrimp.
I’m not overly knowledgeable on rams or kulis, but for a pleco id go with a bristlenose. They’re pretty undemanding, actually do a good job of eating algae and don’t get too big.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your tank is a "standard" 55g. You could do a pair of rams, 12(ish) pangios (kuhlis) & maybe a bn pleco. Instead of tiger barbs , I'd go with a bunch of harlequin rasboras or red tailed rasboras, say 15 of either...& call it good!

You'll need 3 or 4 "cave" type areas for hiding spots.

As for plants , it'll depend on your lighting. Anubias, java ferns (several types of either or both, attached to wood or rocks) & most cryptocorynes should be good. Maybe a rotala 'Indica" &/or vallisneria (a few types). All are pretty easy to grow. The last 3 might like a root tab fertilizer every 3 or 4 months. Anubias & java ferns don't really need any ferts, they just grow slow...but that's a good thing...

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Absolutely right, the bigger the tank the more comfortable the loaches, for example I have more than twenty loaches, and accordingly I had to change the Tank size for kuhli loach to ten gallons, so that they were comfortable to swim, by the way they show their activity at night , an amazing fish that burrows in the sand and at the same time feeds on snails.
Kuhli loaches do NOT eat snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store