50g African cichlid stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cooper232009

Registered Member
Jun 18, 2021
The tank is currently stocked with:
5 peacocks (1 male 4 females)
2 cobalt blue zebras
2 jewel cichlids
4 white nights ( 2 males, 2 females)

I have 580 gph worth of filteration, does that mean I can add more fish? And how many?

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
2 cobalt blue zebras
2 jewel cichlids

I have 580 gph worth of filteration, does that mean I can add more fish? And how many?
I think your filtration is fine. I’d be concerned with the males n females, (especially 2 n 2) in a 50g and that in my opinion you’re under stocked to diffuse aggression. In a tank that size, I would do an all male tank and not mix haps with mbuna or especially the sometimes psychotic jewels in that size of a tank. I mix mbuna, haps, tangs n vics, but in a larger tank. But if it’s working so far, more power to you. Just be aware IMO that stocking has the potential for major compatibility issues.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
2 cobalt blue zebras
2 jewel cichlids

Here’s a vid of my all male rift tank for reference.

Cooper232009

Registered Member
Jun 18, 2021
I think your filtration is fine. I’d be concerned with the males n females, (especially 2 n 2) in a 50g and that in my opinion you’re under stocked to diffuse aggression. In a tank that size, I would do an all male tank and not mix haps with mbuna or especially the sometimes psychotic jewels in that size of a tank. I mix mbuna, haps, tangs n vics, but in a larger tank. But if it’s working so far, more power to you. Just be aware IMO that stocking has the potential for major compatibility issues.
Ok, thanks for your help, if I were to do an all male peacock tank how many could I have? Haha yep the jewels are.
Thanks,

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Ok, thanks for your help, if I were to do an all male peacock tank how many could I have? Haha yep the jewels are.
Thanks,
If you stick to Aulonocara aka peacocks, I’d keep 15 to 20. I’d stay away from any jakes Or dragonbloods since they get larger and are more aggressive. But there’s a huge variety of colors with peacocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store