55 Gal Stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019
Hey all, so I recently set up my 55 gallon planted (El and ferts) and was looking into differnent stocking options. I have boiled it down to a couple different options my main one, being congo tetras and some sort of rainbowfish (I absolutely love the way the two fish look). I wanted to put the following in the tank,
6x Boesemani Rainbows
8x Congo Tetras
10x Kuhli Loaches or some kind of Bottom feeder
How does it look?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks way overstocked to me. Your bottom fish look fine...but all those midwater dwellers, NO!

Pick either rainbows OR Congos. 8 congos might work, 2 or 3 males & the rest females...OR maybe 2 males & the rest female rainbows, maybe 3 females, NOT both species. I have not kept big rainbows, but they are large fish! Plan on Bos. rainbows getting to 5 inches or so. Congos 3+ inches.

A 55g "seems" large but it's a 1ft x 4 ft tank. It's all about surface area & floor space. I'd say you could have even more kuhlis with only 1 species of midwater fish in moderate numbers.

Think again...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would go with either the rainbows or the congos, if you want kind of a centerpiece group of larger fish, and maybe add a school of smaller fish like harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras to fill in the tank some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store