55 Gallon Compatibility/Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019
Hey all,
I recently set up a 55 gallon and was looking into stocking ideas. I came up with a general idea, but just wanted to double check that all the fish will go together and not have too many problems. If you recommend or suggest something else it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

3-4 Pearl Gouramis (1 Male 2-3 Females)
Small school of Congo Tetras (about 10)
a pair of GBR's
a few synodontis petricola
maybe a bristlenose or clown pleco

I have tons of structure and hiding places, and plan to keep the water temp at 80 degrees

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019
I think this should work. I don’t see any red flags.
Hey, so I have also been looking into Apistogromma's do you think a pair could go in as well or do you think they would need to be swapped out. If so, do you have any recommendations?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

I like all those fish, even those I haven't kept :) (s. petricola, someday, lol). I wonder though if the synos would harass the rams. They'll likely eat any eggs or fry & from what I've seen they're very "busy" fish. As long as you don't expect the rams to breed for anything other than other fishes' food, it might work.

That's also kind of a lot of congos...they get a good 3 inches. Maybe start with a trio of pearls (1 m + 2 f), 6 or 8 congos, rams & at least 5 or 6 petricolas. A BN pleco is also adding to you bottom fish load. I love mine! But...you might want to wait or choose BN or rams. (I love bottom feeders! I include cichlids except angels & discus in this "sorta" category, but loaches are my true passion)

I would add them in almost that order too. Then after the fish reach adult size see if you think you still have room for a few more...If you don't have the tank yet, consider a 75g, It has a 50% bigger footprint ( more room for bottom fish), but can be more expensive...

Will you have live plants? They seem to really sent off the colors of pearls, congos & rams! Maybe just a couple java ferns &/or anubias...they can grow in almost any light (easy plants are also "my thing").

We're going to want pics!!

Reactions: DaisyTattoo

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
oops, slow typing. Apistos are very similar to rams in their needs, but maybe not as over bred. Agassizi & cacatuoides are regularly bred in several strains, & fairly hardy, I've had all 3. I think of those 3 I liked aggies best, I think I had double reds. Are you near a biggish city that might have a fish club? That really is the best place to get easy breeding cichlids...& plants, lol.

Please, whatever you decide DO NOT get "balloon" or "angel" rams or "balloon" pearls. Those are all deformed fish that will not live a full lifetime.

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019
oops, slow typing. Apistos are very similar to rams in their needs, but maybe not as over bred. Agassizi & cacatuoides are regularly bred in several strains, & fairly hardy, I've had all 3. I think of those 3 I liked aggies best, I think I had double reds. Are you near a biggish city that might have a fish club? That really is the best place to get easy breeding cichlids...& plants, lol.

Please, whatever you decide DO NOT get "balloon" or "angel" rams or "balloon" pearls. Those are all deformed fish that will not live a full lifetime.
No, I am not in the relative facinity of a big city. But I might take the trip in just to get the fish. I do plan to have live plants, I was thinking java moss, some anubias, and maybe some amazon swords or vallisnaria. Also, just for clarification would I be able to put both rams and apistos in the tank or will it have to be a one or the other situation? I will also be sure to post pics when completed!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, I'd go with rams OR apistos, not both...Especially with all those other bottom fish. There's also Craig's list...less than clubs...but if that's all you have...

Road trips for fish clubs are fun! Look for nearby LFS & good restaurants, make a day of it!! Many clubs have a major auction 1 or 2 times a year, check into it!

I'm not a moss fan, it spreads & attaches everywhere & to everything! That & duckweed are my biggest peeves in all my tanks these days. Most swords get very large. Vallisneria can be nice...if it's a smaller species. "jungle" vals (I have either natans or spiralis) get very long (3+ ft) & need more maintenance than I like. Dwarf val or "Italian" val (also called corkscrew or v. asiatica) are much more manageable.

Look into cryptocorynes, my favs. Several forms & colors are readily available. The "wendtii" varieties in all it's colors are very easy to grow & to find. Warning on crypts, they often lose some or even all their leaves when moved. But if the roots good, they will come back.

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019
No, I'd go with rams OR apistos, not both...Especially with all those other bottom fish. There's also Craig's list...less than clubs...but if that's all you have...

Road trips for fish clubs are fun! Look for nearby LFS & good restaurants, make a day of it!! Many clubs have a major auction 1 or 2 times a year, check into it!

I'm not a moss fan, it spreads & attaches everywhere & to everything! That & duckweed are my biggest peeves in all my tanks these days. Most swords get very large. Vallisneria can be nice...if it's a smaller species. "jungle" vals (I have either natans or spiralis) get very long (3+ ft) & need more maintenance than I like. Dwarf val or "Italian" val (also called corkscrew or v. asiatica) are much more manageable.

Look into cryptocorynes, my favs. Several forms & colors are readily available. The "wendtii" varieties in all it's colors are very easy to grow & to find. Warning on crypts, they often lose some or even all their leaves when moved. But if the roots good, they will come back.
Alright, thanks I will be sure to keep all this info in mind when I am making my final decisions. Thank you for everything!

Frobins

AC Members
Jul 27, 2019

Sorry, one last thing. Any recomendations or suggestions in replace of the synodontis? I like the look of them, but I don't know much about "bottom feeders" and would like to know what other options or possibilities I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store