68F - 20C, any tropical fish that could live in that temp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
I think most tropical fishes requires 75F or 24C, I read that paradise fishes could handle 68F or 20C, any other tropical could handle 68F on long term? Native N American fishes, Minnows and gold fishes are cold water fishes, so of course they could. Any cichlids? what about the gouramis since paradise could? I am wondering if frontosa could as they are deep water fishes in their habitat?

Thanks for helping.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are quite a few "semi-tropical" fish. White cloud mountain minnows, most hillstream loaches, danios, several barb species, some gobies & most corydoras come to mind. I don't know anything about African cichlids except riverine 1s (kribs), they don't like it too cool. I don't heat any of my tanks now but I'm betting my rummy nose tetras would like a bit more heat, in winter anyway...

Reactions: toffee

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Black skirt tetras and several other species from Argentina and Uruguay are semi-tropical, but I can't remember which ones of the top of my head.

No to any African cichlids, rift valley or west African. I can't think of a single one. The cooler part at the southern edge of the continent is actually cichlid deficient. However, a number of species from both Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros live in cooler parts of South America, mainly in Argentina and Uruguay. Most of these reach a pretty decent size so you'll need a large tank, 55 gallon at a minimum for a few species and 75 gallon or larger for most species from both genera. I also believe Apistogramma borelli can handle cooler temperatures, but I'm not sure just how cool so you'll have to research them more. 68 or 70Fmay be a bit cool for them.

WYite

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
What's the tank size you are looking at?

Corydoras paleatus are an especially good choice for a 20g long or more for a general community.

OR, if you've got a large tank-- 55-75 gallons plus-- and can find them... Scleromystax barbatus. They love it cold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store