75 gallon reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I have a 75 gallon tank that is cycling right now. So far I set up my foundation with 2 large live rocks. Live rocks go under the invertibrate category b/c they have invertibrates on the rocks, right? If so, I guess it'll have to be a reef tank. I plan on keeping 8-12 fish. So far I have 3 damsels in which I'll be exchanging when the cyclings done. What fish would do good in a reef tank that max out at around 6 in?

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
So far I've made a list of fish I want so far:
1 tang
1 coral beauty
1 flame angelfish
I don't know which tang to get. I've done some research and think that i'll go for the yellow, blue, or sailfin depending on their availability. Right now that makes 3 fish. I plan on keeping a school of at least 3 fish and 2 more fish.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
the yellow tang is one of my alltime fav fish

some good smaller fish are clowns, common but beautiful in my opinion

have you ever considered triggers (I dont 'think you can mix with a tang, at least not in a 75g) but I think triggers are exceptionally cool fish...the picasso or the clown trigger are both very appealing to the eye

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by blee358
So far I've made a list of fish I want so far:
1 tang
1 coral beauty
1 flame angelfish
I don't know which tang to get. I've done some research and think that i'll go for the yellow, blue, or sailfin depending on their availability. Right now that makes 3 fish. I plan on keeping a school of at least 3 fish and 2 more fish.
The two angels will likely fight - Flames don't really appreciate sharing space with other members of the same genus. And, I wouldn't put a tang in a tank that small - they need more swimming room than that.

That's my $.02

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I've decided not to get the fish I listed before. I'm just going to see what my LFS has and then make up a new list.
I was interested in a picasso trigger because they do not get too big and are very cool. However, I do not know if they could be kept in a reef tank.

BiggerWurm

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
michigan
Visit site
blee358,

If you want a reef tank don't get a picasso they are meat eaters and his was already 6 inches. I have seen one in the back of the LFS that was closer to 10. They will kill smaller fish sometimes or at least my friends would. Any definitely a danger to shrimp his even killed a puffer by ramming it until it died in two days. There are some reef safe triggers but i have not tried any in a reef but would not suggest it. Kind of like putting a pitbull in with lab puppies. My other buddy feed his Niger trigger by hand and it was very calm and did not mess with corals then it took a chunk out of his jawfish. 50/50 chance of getting a good one even when reef safe.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd put the odds of finding a reef safe trigger well below 50%. I'd say MAYBE 5% of triggers are safe, and even then, it's a fluke. Triggers in the wild eat corals. End of story. It's like getting a mountain lion and feeding it nothing but veggies...The lion might live, but I wouldn't trust it with a rabbit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store