8 Gallon Fish Tank Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
I've got a 10 gallon tank. I call it an 8 gallon because of the rocks in it. It's heavy flow, planted tank. I'm looking for fish that I could have in there. I was thinking maybe ember tetras. Ideas/recommendations?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see nobody has answered you yet. I haven't kept embers but maybe some neocaridina shrimp would be nice. I wouldn't get cherry shrimp, too similar in color to the embers. But maybe blue or yellows would be nice. I had a heavily planted 10g RCS tank I loved! But I chose pygmy rasboras (maculata) & could barely tell the difference between them & the shrimp for both size & color. Green shrimp may blend in too well with plants. I was not successful with caridina shrimp the 1 time I tried black bees, neos seem much easier to keep.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Celestial pearl danios?

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Shrimp may not be happy in a heavy flow tank, as they do best with a sponge filter or low flow with prefilter sponge.
I believe CPD's are also happier with low filtration.
I like Ember Tetras for your tank, and pygmy cories are also a good choice.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've kept shrimp in higher flow, & as long as there are areas they can escape to, sometimes they liked to play in the current. Pygmy or habrosus corys are a great idea! Pygmies are more mid-water swimmers, habbies bottom fish, both very cute! My CPDs were very shy as were my rosy loaches, I was disappointed with both when I eventually got to keep them. They were both on the "new & unusual" fish list back in the day...wild caught I'm sure, but maybe not these days...

So FL, how big is your filter that you consider it "high flow"? It can be broken up with plants or hardscape...filters are often "overrated" as far as flow rate goes...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store