90 gallon planted aquarium plan. Overstocked or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishkeepingaddict

Registered Member
Apr 18, 2020
I recently got a 90 gallon aquarium with a 40 gallon aquarium, which I plan to use as a sump for the 90 gallon. I am going to turn the 90 gallon aquarium into a heavily planted aquarium. I am planning to have the following fish:

5x cherry barbs
6x boesemani rainbowfish
10x panda corydora
10x albino corydora
5x turquoise rainbowfish
10x otocinculus
5x siamese algae eater
1x german blue ram or 1 pair of them
10x marble hatchet fish
8x kuhili loach

The aquarium has the dimensions of a standard 90 gallon aquarium. My main question here is - will the aquarium be overstocked with this many fish and do you guys think that there are to many mid dwelling fish?

My other questions are the following:

Would the use of ada soil and liquid fertilizers be enough to maintain a healthy growth of aquarium plants?

If I have to get rid of some of the fish, which fish should I remove?

Will FluroGlow Twin T8 lighting produce enough lighting for this aquarium or should I also purchase a FluroGlow Single T8 lighting to sustain a healthy lighting system?

Is the FluroGlow Twin T8 a good light source for a heavily planted tank if not, what other lighting should I buy? Please keep in mind that I would prefer lights that use less watts but produce the same amount of lumens. I don't mind how expensive the lights are.

I have never kept a planted aquarium this large so my question is, how am I going to measure the c02 in the aquarium? I am quite aware that the bubble counting system will not work for an aquarium this large.

What kind of plants should I get?

For filtration should I use a canister filter, a sump, or a homemade diy sump?

last but not least, do you guys have any other stocking ideas for a 90 gallon planted aquarium?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
--make sure you get a "true siamese algae eater"
--I'd pass on the ottos and SAE until the tank is very well established
--stick with just one group of the rainbows
--drop the rams

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think hatchets will be too jumpy with all those big rainbows...just by my friends' experiences, not my own. I'd go with less rainbows &/or SAEs, stick with 2 species of all 3 kinds. That's a lot of 5-6 inch fish!! & too many bottom fish...Pick 1 species of corys & 1 of kuhlis or 2 species of either. I agree with RB, skip the rams, too shy for those "rowdy-ish" fish.

I know when you buy fish they are often juveniles, but they will grow! So we have to stock tanks based on adult sized fish.

For your plants, it depends on what kinds you want to grow. I'm a low to medium-ish light, no co2 grower. I can grow all low light & many (but not all) "medium light" plants. Some prefer root tabs to water column ferts. I love cryptocorynes in all their many sizes, shapes & colors. What plants are you thinking of having? I belong to a plant club & have tried many!! plants. I've killed some & some grow "too well" for my low maintenance idea of tanks.

I only recently set up a deeper tank, 24 or 25 inches in Nov. instead of my more usual 20" deep 1s. I alternate between 3 x T-8s & 2 X T-5s...both seem like a lot! so far...green water with only ~6 hours of either. I'm still trying to get a grip on this...it's not a pretty tank yet, lol, no fish yet.

Reactions: Fishkeepingaddict
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store