A question of lighting and and if its feasable

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Walker Anderson

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
www.walkeranderson.com
When I got my tank, all it had was a one flourescent bulb hood 20 watt. It was not enough to get plants to grow, and at the suggestion of LPS person, got a Flora-glow light or some thing similar. This just cast a reddish hue to everything and made all my albinos look creepier the higher in the tank they went.
So, I bought a larger 2 bulb hood. 40 watts total flourescent. I put it in the place of the original.
Of course this was not good enough for me. I took the hinged part of the tank lid off and put the original light fixture over that opening.
Now I have 60 watts in a 30 gallon tank with 2 fixtures on timers just for kicks. Still playing with adjustment times on lighting.

My question is, since now it is a major pain to do maintenace or even feed the little guys, I was thinking of using 2 hinges between the two hood, and put a drawer handle on the front one so it can be raised easily.

Any advice on if this is workable or if someone has tried similar if it all went to pot. Also, the fixture in front has nothing between it and the water. Is there anywhere that I could by something to fill the space?

Oh, and also I have painted both white hoods inside with Krylon Chrome paint and then top coated it with Krylon Clear Reflective paint. It did seem to kick up the light in the tank a decent amount. The clear reflective may be something to look at for just white innards.

Thanks for any response,
Walker

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store