A sad day for me. My Angelfish is not well

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBaby

Senior Member with Senior Moments
Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
My male Angelfish is lying on the bottom of my tank. I know he is dying..... How long do Angelfish live? I have had him for 2 years and got him from a friend. I don't know exactly how long he had him....

90 gallon tank heavily planted with fluorite substrate
Neutral pH 7.0-7.2
0 ammonia, nitrites
Weekly .25% water changes
5.0ppm nitrates if that

I just tested all. Is there anything else I can do? He looks ok other than he is hanging in the back corner of my tank.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think the life span is around 10 years on the higher end of the spectrum, but the environment they experience in early life can really impact that. It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your tank that is causing it.
How long has be been like this? Any other symptoms (i.e. bloating, skin/scale abnormalities, discoloartion, gasping)? If you have other fish that may pick on him while he is not doing so well it might be a good idea to isolate him in a net breeder or something like that to minimize stress.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
I just noticed him today No skin abnormalities, no bloating. Nothing. I have not introduced anything new into the tank. No new fish no new plants.

IMG_1737.JPG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry about your angel fish! It's hard to say for sure, but I'd think 4-6yrs would be typical with average care where nitrates are typically at ~40ppm. 6+ where 20ppm or less nitrates are maintained.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I don't see anything that jumps out at me as the problem. Maybe try turning the lights off and increasing aeration to see if he recovers a bit? The dark and increased O2 may perk him up a bit.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sorry to hear this about your beautiful angel. I agree with Tiff, lights out (reduces stress) and aerate. What other fish are in the tank? They are all acting normal?

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
4 cories
3 rainbows
5 tetras
3 Sissortails
And 1 Very Unhappy Female Angelfish!! At least she looks sad to me

All who are not acting or looking sick....

Honestly, I don't think he's going to make it.... when last I looked before I left for work, he was head down in a plant.

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
If he's still alive when I get home, I'll move him to a smaller darkened/aerated tank. Thanks all...

WaterBaby

Sep 23, 2002
Florence, New Jersey
Camera Used
I use an iPhone 8 camera
He was still alive when I got home. I transferred him into a 5 gallon tank with an aerator bar and a few fake plants to hide behind. I still don't think he will make it but at least this tank is quiet. Do u think if he "perks up" he can be medicated? But with what? Maybe just keeping the water clean..... I am at a loss.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could try treating for hex. I've read of other more experienced folks in the hobby bringing fish back from the brink by treating for this. I guess it's one of those bugs that's always in the water and can strike a fish down if they are stressed or have a weakened immune system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store