Above ground pond build.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
For those of you that saw my posts last year about the above ground pond build that I wanted to do, I am finally starting it. Got the wood for the frame and started to cut it. I am going to have it about 6 feet long two feet deep and about 4 to 5 ft wide at its longest width. I will get pics on as I go. I and using 2×4 for the main frame. I am not sure what I am using yet after that. I am going to do an active bog filter with it as well. I thought about doing a small island for my turtles to climb on. More details to come. Comments and tips welcomed

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
Question for anyone that might know. What is the ratio that I need to make the right size bog filter for my turtles compared to the pond. I will make a diagram with exact dimensions later today and post it.
Maybe with a couple of different views of what it will look like

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
Here is some more sketches of what my ideas are.
I am hoping to build part of the frame today once I finally decide.

uploadfromtaptalk1424032795088.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1424032833198.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1424032908807.jpg

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
how is the build going?

most articles i have read put the bog area at 10-15% (MAX) of the pond area, although that probably depends on how overstocked it gets. why not combine the sunning area and the bog area, building a sloped "beach" from the water up to the bog? that way you minimize the number of details you have to construct, and the turtles can climb out into the plants if they want some shade but don't want to get wet.

watch out for raccoons -- they will love the sushi bar and turtle snacks

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
if you haven't gotten there yet, you can support an island on plastic milk crates tied together with zip ties. if you snip out some of the crisscrossing wall area (NOT the edge framing!) your fish and turtles can hide there from predators. i would leave at least 1 inch of webbing along all edges to maintain some structural strength. the critters are smart, they really don't need holes much bigger than they are to get in and out

mikeljh2000

AC Members
Apr 26, 2009
mesa az
Thanks for the ideas I like the sloping beach and plants as shade for them. I have not worked on it in a while work has had me busy and I am exhausted when I get home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store