Accidental Snail Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
I got my old 2.5 gallon up and running about a month ago, but didn't really want to stock anything in it. So, I set it up, threw an anubias nana and some java moss in there (got both from tanks at my LFS) and called it good. Currently, I have no filter or heater, but I do run the lights for about 12 hours daily and have a bubble stone.

I throw excess blood worms, pellets, etc. in there occasionally to get some nutrients in the tank, as well, and to keep any BB alive.

I was taking a look at what I thought was debris on the glass, and noticed it was moving. And had antennae. And had a shell. And was a snail.

They're about the size of a pushpin head, have a brown shell with dark-colored stripes, and a white-ish body. I'm not exactly confident in my guess, but I'm thinking they're mystery snails.

I went ahead and checked the water parameters, and I'm thinking that the tank is cycled (though I wasn't exactly worried about it because, you know, nothing's supposed to be living in it). I only say that because I threw in a ton of pellets the other day with some bloodworms (again, I thought nothing was living in there, so I threw a ton), and the ammonia's at 0 ppm and the nitrites are somewhere in between 0 and 0.25 ppm. In addition, I seeded it with gravel from two other established aquariums when I set it up.

So, with that all said, I'm not exactly sure what to do with these little guys. I spotted at least six eating leftover food earlier, and I'm not sure how many more there are. Seems I just ended up with a bunch of eggs from either my anubias or moss.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with these guys? I mean, I've got two other tanks with ample space that I can move them to, if need be. Or, I guess I could go and see if my fish store will take them.

Thanks!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Depends on what you want. You can rehome them to the LFS or to another tank, leave them there, feed them to the fish in your other tanks. You have options.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't think they're mystery snails because the only time I've "raised" them, they laid their eggs out of the water. Usually on the underside of the aquarium hood or glass.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Oh, gotcha, gotcha. Hm... maybe acute bladder snails? I looked them up, and they look like what I've got going here. Guess I made kind of a hasty guess.

Well, I suppose I'll just leave them be for the time being. I must have at least one adult, because I noticed some eggs on one of my decorations. None of them look too big, so I'm thinking that's what they are.

Thankd for the input, guys!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Got any pictures of them? All of my tanks have bladder snails, leopard ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails. Theyre a great clean up crew.

They also turn from 6 to 600 pretty rapidly. If you dont want them Id suggest adding something like a parasite killer with copper. Youll "nuke" the tank but kill any snails and can start the cycle over. Youll never be able to just remove them. Bladders and ramshorn reproduce asexually iirc. MTS are live bearers.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think some snails are a benefit to the tank. They're a good indication of if you are overfeeding. If the snail population is getting out of control. You are dumping too much food into the tank. Minimal snails and healthy fish = just right.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Cool, thanks for the information! Sorry for the late reply, by the way.

Defj123, not really. My camera's crap, but I'm fairly certain that they're bladder snails, because they've been reproducing, and the largest one I've seen is less than half an inch. I'm thinking about adding one or two to my skirt tetra and betta tanks, but I'll have to research a little more.

Thanks for the information, guys! I found somebody to take them, but I truly appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Rantom

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2019
I feed my overly amorous ramshead in my guppy colony to my bichir and cichlids tank.... they LOVE em! ( occasionally one survives and gets big enough to not be eaten, we name that one rocky and by then treats;)

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Sounds intense. Lol

And sorry for the late reply. I got somebody to take these little guys off my hands.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store