Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Accidental Snail Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Reido Dorito, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Yesterday at 10:58 PM
    I got my old 2.5 gallon up and running about a month ago, but didn't really want to stock anything in it. So, I set it up, threw an anubias nana and some java moss in there (got both from tanks at my LFS) and called it good. Currently, I have no filter or heater, but I do run the lights for about 12 hours daily and have a bubble stone.

I throw excess blood worms, pellets, etc. in there occasionally to get some nutrients in the tank, as well, and to keep any BB alive.

I was taking a look at what I thought was debris on the glass, and noticed it was moving. And had antennae. And had a shell. And was a snail.

They're about the size of a pushpin head, have a brown shell with dark-colored stripes, and a white-ish body. I'm not exactly confident in my guess, but I'm thinking they're mystery snails.

I went ahead and checked the water parameters, and I'm thinking that the tank is cycled (though I wasn't exactly worried about it because, you know, nothing's supposed to be living in it). I only say that because I threw in a ton of pellets the other day with some bloodworms (again, I thought nothing was living in there, so I threw a ton), and the ammonia's at 0 ppm and the nitrites are somewhere in between 0 and 0.25 ppm. In addition, I seeded it with gravel from two other established aquariums when I set it up.

So, with that all said, I'm not exactly sure what to do with these little guys. I spotted at least six eating leftover food earlier, and I'm not sure how many more there are. Seems I just ended up with a bunch of eggs from either my anubias or moss.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with these guys? I mean, I've got two other tanks with ample space that I can move them to, if need be. Or, I guess I could go and see if my fish store will take them.

Thanks!

2. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Monday at 7:42 PM
    Depends on what you want. You can rehome them to the LFS or to another tank, leave them there, feed them to the fish in your other tanks. You have options.

3. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Monday at 8:18 PM
    Joel
    I wouldn't think they're mystery snails because the only time I've "raised" them, they laid their eggs out of the water. Usually on the underside of the aquarium hood or glass.

4. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Yesterday at 10:58 PM
    Oh, gotcha, gotcha. Hm... maybe acute bladder snails? I looked them up, and they look like what I've got going here. Guess I made kind of a hasty guess.

Well, I suppose I'll just leave them be for the time being. I must have at least one adult, because I noticed some eggs on one of my decorations. None of them look too big, so I'm thinking that's what they are.

Thankd for the input, guys!

5. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Yesterday at 8:00 AM
    Got any pictures of them? All of my tanks have bladder snails, leopard ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails. Theyre a great clean up crew.

They also turn from 6 to 600 pretty rapidly. If you dont want them Id suggest adding something like a parasite killer with copper. Youll "nuke" the tank but kill any snails and can start the cycle over. Youll never be able to just remove them. Bladders and ramshorn reproduce asexually iirc. MTS are live bearers.

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Monday at 8:18 PM
    Joel
    I think some snails are a benefit to the tank. They're a good indication of if you are overfeeding. If the snail population is getting out of control. You are dumping too much food into the tank. Minimal snails and healthy fish = just right.