Accidentally got a male and female African Dwarf frog and do not a have a spare tank for each

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SleepyApricot

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2020
Basically what the title says. I don't want them to mate and make tadpoles because I do not have the space (15 gallon split into 10 gallon and 5 gallon, 5 gallon space has betta with snail). Will they mate for sure if left together until sexual maturity? Should I sell one and get one of the same sex to prevent this?

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Basically what the title says. I don't want them to mate and make tadpoles because I do not have the space (15 gallon split into 10 gallon and 5 gallon, 5 gallon space has betta with snail). Will they mate for sure if left together until sexual maturity? Should I sell one and get one of the same sex to prevent this?
I’ve only had 2 same sex ADFs so I’m not speaking from experience, but I wanted to breed them for a while. After researching how to breed them, everything I read said the adults will feed on eggs if they aren’t removed. You could always sell one to be safe but I don’t think you will have issues. I’d love to take the female off your hands but I’m headed to college next year and need my tank to be as understocked as possible.

Reactions: the loach

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Oh I also forgot to add, you could always remove any eggs you see (in case the frogs don’t eat them) and use them for compost or maybe even feed them to your bettas or frogs. I’m unsure about the nutrient contents but it’s an idea.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store