Actinic Lighting!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
50/50 bulbs are CFs, linear (straight) fluorescent bulbs cant come in 50/50.

with the CFs there bent in half so there are either 2 or 4 straight pieces. half of them are normal lights, the other half are actinics.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
hm,mmmm..... I have a coralife 50/50. works GREAT and have been working for a year now on a 60 gallon. I am going to try a acitanic flouriscent bulb for my 20 gallon tank.

For a RED light, can I just use the bulb that came with the light fixture and just add a RED TINT PLASTIC, so the light that comes out will be red? would that work as a "red light"?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
That should work, I've heard that some ppl use a red filter over their flashlights to watch their tanks at night... what your proposing is more or less the same.

-Richer

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Yeah, I'm mechanically sound, but I don't know the first thing about lights and I don't want to force a burden on you guys to explain them to me. So, will the ordinary bulbs a get in a hood from the LFS suffice to keep my plants alive? Becuase those would be the same hoods with the same bulbs I have on my other tank, which I am happy with.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Corallife and some others make bulb ESPECIALLY for plants. So the light spectrum is more focused for that of plants. plants will flourish with them!!!!!! much better then the others...

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
So a CoralLife 5500K-6500K ... and I can put these in any hood, this would be 2 24" hoods. Is that all the info I need, or are there different models of the 5500K-6500K lights?

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Im not saying if the corallife BRAND is the best or not....do your research off the internet....but BUY the bulbs at Big als or petwarehouse and you will get a good deal on them! I ordered lights from them and all times lights came unbroken (except one time , but they replaced it free of charge)

Check your light holder...see if it is a T-8 or a T-12

Bulb called Corrallife "nutri Grow plant light"

Petwarehouse= 10.99 for any size

Big als= check them= they are usually a few bucks cheaper

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store