Adding Fertilizer Causing Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBA

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
I recently began having trouble with hair algae . I have CO2 injection with 3.5 watts/gal. on a 55 gal. and the lights are on 10 hours/day. I only feed once per day, 5 days a week. I do water changes weekly at a rate of 25-50% per change. This tanks been up for several years with plants and never had a hair algae problem. I have two SAE's in the tank and they take care of the beard algae but this long stringy garbage isn't of interest to them.

Obviously something's out of balance that's caused this recent issue. The only thing I changed was the addition of FloraPride fertilizer about 2 months ago at dosages less than the recommended levels. I thought this would potentially help the plants. I quite using it altogether a month ago, however I'm still having problems getting rid of the last of the algae. Any recommendation or suggestions. I don't mind it so much on the larger plants, but I can't seem to get rid of it on the dwarf amazon sword (grasslike species). Therefore my "front lawn" looks aweful...:confused:

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
You have a high light high tech tank.. Your plants can't grow well unless they have proper nutrition. If you will look at some posts here by Plantbrain or Richer you will see the recommended levels for nutrition in those conditions.

You can't fight algae in a tank like yours by cutting off the nutrients your plants need to flourish. Algae can survive with minimal amounts of nutrition whereas the plants need larger amounts.

Plantbrain had a funny little thing about I think it was an elephant and a mouse and something like some kernels of corn. Which one is going to survive better with the few kernels of corn?

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Give us some water specs on your tank....pH,kH,nutrients you are now dosing. CO2 you are injecting etc. All you can tell us would be helpful. Most of us have, at one time or other had the same issues and many have dealt with them, but we need as much info. as possible.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store