Advice on unorthodox tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kristophf

AC Members
Feb 8, 2019
Hi guys! New to this forum. I am planning to build a new tank based off a large peice of 10mm thick curved glass and need some advice on if it is thick enough for the amount of gals it will hold. Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated!

20190207_091042.jpg

Kristophf

AC Members
Feb 8, 2019
It depends on what dimensions you are planning to build the tank. There are tools on the net like this one http://theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium/
to calculate glass thickness.

Are you planning to make a tall tank? I would not recommend tall tanks, they are terrible in terms of footprint, lighting, plants, maintenance and such.
Thanks for your reply. Ive tried this site but cant load as i am using my phone, will borrow a friends laptop and try it there.

The dimensions currently are

1000mm tall
1030mm wide
390mm

I plan on getting the hieght cut down to about 6-700mm, but yes i would like to have it taller than usual. Do not mind the tricky maintenance or lighting i think 2 kessil 360x narrows would do the job or something similair. I would just keep low light corals closer to the bottom and put more planning into positioning.

My plan is to install an eshopss eclipse M overflow in the centre and send down to 30 gal sump.

What exactly did you mean by footprint?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Here is another calculator to get glass thickness for a given tank height, granted you have to convert your dimensions to inches.

Short answer - 10mm glass is not likely thick enough for a 0.7m tall glass aquarium.

Reactions: fishorama

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
As you can see in the calculators, height determines the thickness, so that is another disadvantage of tall tanks.
In order to make a tank out of that piece you would have to cut the height down to at least 500 mm, but, that is actually a good thing.
Tall fish tanks are terrible.

You could use it for a terrarium though.

Kristophf

AC Members
Feb 8, 2019
Thanks for your help! Makes sense. Will cut it down to 500, then could even turn that into two tanks if i need a second

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
What I would do, if you have the space, cut the glass right through the middle. So you just have a seam in the middle at the sides, and only need a bottom pane.
The dimensions would be 1030x780x500. It would be around 100 gal (±375 liters)
Would be great for my weather loaches...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What was the original intent of this piece of glass? It looks like an odd footprint vs height and I'd think being so tall, the water pressure at the bottom would be high.

There's always going to be the risk of getting water on the floor in this hobby. Best to place it where it would have minimal impact.

Kristophf

AC Members
Feb 8, 2019
What I would do, if you have the space, cut the glass right through the middle. So you just have a seam in the middle at the sides, and only need a bottom pane.
The dimensions would be 1030x780x500. It would be around 100 gal (±375 liters)
Would be great for my weather loaches...
Didnt think of that. Cool idea and would change things completely. There are minor fragments missing out of both top corners which could be ingored i guess...
And that way ill only need a base cut. Sides would have a seam in the middle though. Ill have to check if i have the space for that

20190207_090953.jpg

Kristophf

AC Members
Feb 8, 2019
What was the original intent of this piece of glass? It looks like an odd footprint vs height and I'd think being so tall, the water pressure at the bottom would be high.

There's always going to be the risk of getting water on the floor in this hobby. Best to place it where it would have minimal impact.
I wondered the same thing, found it on the side of the road. My guess is it was a large coffee table? Ive seen smaller models that resemble the same shape. If you look at it laying down

20190207_090648.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store