African or CA/SA your preference and why?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Hello all.

I posted this once before but since there is so many new people that have come aboard here. I figured that I would ask it again.

First of all I would like to state that this is not a debate. I'm just interested in personal preferences.

When I got into cichlids many many moons ago after about 10 years of fish keeping. I was drawn to the attitude , size and overall personallity of the CA/SA cichld.

I would stand there and watch them in the store and just really be awestruck at the tudes these fish would show. Towards the people watching them and each other. I decided that those were the fish that I want to keep.

As I got more and more into the hobby and learned more. They just impressed me more and more. Now I have my 7 tanks going all with CA/SA cichlids in them.

I was never really as impressed with the African species although I found the coloration very nice. It just never really excited me like the CA/SA's.

So that being said.

What were the factors that drew you to the types of cichlids that you now keep?

Do you keep both?

Which do you prefer. CA/SA or African, and why.

Like I said no right or wrong here. I am just curious.
Thanks all.

Swordfish

aka Max Power!
Nov 9, 2001
London, Ontario, Canada
I have never kept africans.
The reason why i went with CA/SA cichlids over africans is because the image presented with Africans is of an overstocked tank with continuous movement.
I prefer having one or two fish in a tank at the most, trying to get a sense of the fish's individual personalities and having more of a "pet".

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Most of my fish are CA for all the reasons stated above plus ease,behavior and colors of breeding. I have however found a new interest in SA cichlids, mainly sa Geophagines.

bayoupr

AC Members
Oct 13, 2002
Avondale, La.
Visit site
I have a malawi tank with mbunas. I have a C/A with my jags. I have always been a C/A S/A keeper. I like the african colors when you get to see them. Most of the time they hide in their caves and come out to eat or after the lights turn off. My brother wants my africans once his tank has cycled, which will free up this tank for some S/A's. Then I may decide to keep them. Only time will tell.

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree with all that has been said, but would like to add that the color and activity of a Malawian African Cichlid tank was exciting for me. I changed however;

I'm now a Geophagus love and find their personality most interesting!! Color is not as flashy, but beautiful.

Anton and I got some young Geos at the same time, it will be interesting to see how they and we do with them.

And on another note....how many people walk into you home and say....Oh, you have African Cichlids, vs. WOW, what are those??

Kidding aside, each are wonderful in their own right!

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
I keep both but only dwarf species. I have both Blue & Bolivian Rams and 2 Apisto species from the Americas in planted tanks which is a bonus since I enjoy planted tanks. The Africans I have are Caudos, Multies, and Julies (all tangs). I find all all them very interesting in their own ways. Choosing American or African if I could only keep 1, would depend on tank size really. Even though the dwarfs can all be kept in small tanks, the Africans (Multies) would get the nod in a 20g or less. Americans would be part of a community tank along with Gouramies and a school or 2 or Tetras in larger tanks that would be planted.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
A fish that I want very badly is a Geophagus Jurupari. I don't know what it is... The one at the LFS always stares at me like "Take me Home!" But I dont have enough tank space.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
I keep both, but only two specific species: Blue Rams and kribensis. The water parameters for the kribensis are flexible enough (pH range, etc.) that I can keep them with the one male Ram I have. These are just my two favorite species, so far. I stay with dwarves because I don't like the fish-eat-fish requirements of the larger cichlids, and I keep cichlids in general because of the personality! (Parenting behavior, etc.)

I would really like to check out a biotope-type setup, though, where the plants and cohabitants are all as authentic as possible to the fish's natural environment. I've tried to find some stuff on this on the net, but haven't been too successful yet. If anyone knows where I could find some good info on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

If I were to change my favorite species sometime, I'd probably go toward the dwarf Africans--but which ones?!

-- Pat

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
When I went to fish show, the most impressive fish were always the large CA. Africans, despite brilliant color, were too small and SA, with a few exceptions (discus, oscar and Green Terror), were generally dull in color and small in size to catch one's attention. Some CA can out shine Africans in color but most importantly, CA show better because they are bold in attitude while most Africans and shy SA were hiding.

I like all cichids but keeping large CA requires huge tanks and massive maintenance tasks. So currently I am keeping mostly Africans with a few smaller CA and SA (Geophgus, Thorichthys and Nicaraquensis) to mix in. If I were retired and have all the time, I will split my tanks into CA, SA and Africans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store