Africans Rubbing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
My Africans are rubbing on the substrate, I guess they may have an external parasite. What types of medicine do you guys use? I would prefer to not use chemicals like the kind you use for Ick since it is known to cause cancer in large quantities unless I have to. Does Mela Fix work? It's all natural.

Thanks

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
I've come to accept that my africans are showing off, because I treated for ich and parasites and they still do it from time to time. I'm not willing to keep loading the tank full of chemicals until something becomes visibly wrong. Cichlids are known to do this.

They don't do it that often, and there's 3 cichlids in my tank, so it's no wonder they have a reason to flash from time to time.

Last edited:

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
Yeah, I know they do that when they are flashing or getting ready to breed. I've watched mine flash and this definetly isn't flashing. They are rubbing repeatedly on the substrate and have even begun to rub against the rocks placed in there. I think it may be an external parasite. Melafix???

Thanks

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
For ich I use aquarium salt or Aquarisol

For parasites I use the tank buddies parasite tablets (bought them at walmart thanks to the suggestion of another memeber). I don't know which yours are, if there's still no ich present it's probably a parasite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store