Aiptasia problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I would think the sebae would have to be very large and all anemones pose the risk of eating fish but from what I am aware of it is usually carpets that end up eating fish but I imagine your sebae could be doing it if big enough and or the fish are small enough. I am helping a friend with his new 180 and his clowns and goby pair are fine but every time we add new fish they end up dieing, wrasse's, jaw fish and lawnmower blennie and myself and a few others are going crazy trying to figure it out so all I can say is good luck. I have never heard of aps killing fish but I guess anything is possible

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
I see...well, perhaps I have a similar mystery as well. Any chance that you are helping your friend within a thread that I might be able to follow along with?

My Sebae is, in fact, very large. I would say that is can push a foot in diameter when it is happy enough to do so. I've had it for about two years now and even though I have done so a lot in the past, I can no longer touch it without feeling like I just rolled around in fiberglass insulation. To be perfectly honest, I spent a lot of time making sure that I keep this thing alive and never really considered the impact it might have when it grew this big. I know there really isn't a whole lot to put it in perspective, but here is a picture of this anemone. The tank is four feet wide (a 72 gallon bow front, only taller) and the clown fish is a good three inches long. Please forgive me though, this picture was taken shortly after moving to a new house and I was dealing with a subsequent hair algae issue.

By the way...I completely agree that chocolate chip stars are best kept separate from reef tanks but apparently I have some uncanny luck because I've had it for a few months and it has yet to even crawl across one of my corals. In fact, I still think it is cool to watch it eat from the glass. Anyways, thanks again!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I dont have a thread going but when we figure it out I will let you know what we found. Thats an impressive Sebae. We thought it might be is huge brown brittle star but its been hanging out with his gobies and they are still there so we kind of rulled that out, so good luck and let us know how the scat works.

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks! I will definitely let you know how it goes. I should be able to pick one up this week sometime. In the meantime, I'm still open to any other ideas as well!

scott b

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
I HAVE USED AIPTASIA-X, BY RED SEA.IT HAS DONE VERY WELL FOR ME .A FEW DROPS IN THE MOUTH & THATS IT FOR THAT ONE.ITS HARD TO GET THEM UNDER CONTROL. ONCE THEY GET OUT OF CONTROL. GOOD LUCK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store