Algae and Indirect Sunlight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hi All,
Very interested in hearing opinions on a possible link between the two. I had to give up on my 7 yr old planted tank a while back when it developed uncontrolled algae following a home remodeling. I had moved the tank twice as part of the process, but it was replaced in its original location. Everything else remained the same: lights, co2, ferts, but there was one difference. The new window blinds let in an appreciably greater amount of indirect sunlight from the west facing windows. After having done everything I could think of to restore my tank to its previous algae-free state, I finally blamed the problem on the new blinds and went to a 19 watt fish only setup.
Could there have been something else at work here that i was unable to identify? Thanks.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
What kind of algae are we talking about? The problem is that you kept everything the same. You increased light, but not co2 and ferts. It is all connected... you can't just increase one and expect the same result.
Also lights do age and give less output over time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is it free floating & maybe coating surfaces? That's green dust to me. Green spot is the stuck on the glass type & very hard to scrub off.

Do you have plants now? What are your water parameters? You know, the usual, you've been here long enough to know, lol...& how come I haven't met you at the SFBAAPS meets yet? (or have I?) LOL, I could loan you a UV filter...it might help in the short term.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
how come I haven't met you at the SFBAAPS meets yet? (or have I?)
Super Secret Aquariacentral Alter-ego Identities!

I'll only use my real name in person, I'm not the same guy I was 20 years ago... ;)

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
It's not green spot; rather it coats everything. I had P=3, N=20-30, and heavily planted with co2 and weekly water changes. Everything the same as it had been for the previous year.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your nitrate seems a little high to me. Can you back off on feeding macros at least? I'm happy if my non-co2 tanks have 5ppm...but I haven't gone co2...although I have the stuff to do, it...I just don't want the maintenance issues...right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store