algae growing on my fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
a few days ago, i started a post about the different types of algae inhabiting my tanks. i had stated that one of my betta tanks (1 gal) had green algae in it. well now, not only does the tank have algae, but the fish does as well. i just noticed today that she has green algae growing on the tips of all of her fins. i cleaned out her tank yesterday and didnt see it. surely it couldnt have appeared overnight? well anyways-should i just treat the water with an algae removing product?
heres a picture-sorry its not that great but you can see the tips of green on her fins.

topwater202

AC Members
Jun 23, 2004
Visit site
well..i would think about the size of the tank being so small..and little or no movement of the water and maybe too much lighting// good luck

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
I think the algae remover would be best. I would have to also agree with topwater202.

They say bettas are easy to maintain but they are not.
How often do you do a water change? what percent?

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
jac... Rockinsunset was just trying to help... Anyways, is the tank in direct sunlight all day? That could definately be causing it. Although, if it appeared overnight, then the sunlight wouldn't be the cause. What about temperature, maybe a little bit higher than normal? I'd say you're good to go w/ the algae remover (I didn't know they made chemical algae removal stuff, I thought you had to get a critter to do it! :) ). And maybe a few more water changes over the next couple of days. If she still has it on her fins and stuff after a couple of days, maybe do a dip in some MelaFix? I love that stuff, cures everything!!

Good luck!
~Tara

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would worry most about the condition of the water. Algae doesn't just appear. There generally has to be lots of nutrients. Sunlight is only one part of the algae equation. Food is the most important. And that probably means high nitrate levels.

You said you knew what you are doing but exactly how often do you change the water and what are the nitrate levels in your tank.

Is this a bare tank? Are there decorations or gravel or plants at all?

Algae chems don't really work. They will clear the water up pretty fast but they don't address the cuase of the problem. I found that out after buying some myself. So the algae will just keep coming back.

The algae itself won't hurt your fish, but the cuase of it might. So I suggest testing for nitrates or ammonia, reducing light (esp at this time of year) to no more that 6 or 7 hours a day (assuming no live plants) and doing more frequent water changes.

Duckweed is a perfect plant filter for small betta tanks. It soaks up nitrates really fast and grows quick. You just have to clean it off the top of the water every so often.

jacblades

klingon word for superior galactic
May 11, 2004
alabama
www.angelfire.com
well why is there green algae in only one of my betta tanks? i change the water all at the same time (once a week) and basically feed them same amount to all of my fish. i rotate them so no particular two tanks stay at the top in direct sunlight. bare tanks. i lost my nitrite color chart and i have sent a request for another one. havent heard anyhting:(
actually-one of my other tanks is starting to get some green algae too. both of those fish i have had for less than a month and they came from the same breeder. is that just a coincidence? it was a thai breeder and i know a lot of them raise their bettas with indian almond leaves in the water. could it be something about the bettas? (i know it sounds a bit stupid but there IS a coincidence)
dwayne-i donthtink melafix does anyhting for algae. i have put it in another tank with algae in it and the algae was not affected at all. im not sure if appeared overnight-i just might not have noticed it because i had to look really cloesly to find it.

see how the two top tanks on the right have it? (the other one on the left looks like green but is acually brown)
why? :(
i really like the look of green algae-just not on my fish...

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
clarifying...

Jac, I think dwayne was suggesting the melafix as protection for your betta, not as an algae remover.

Those "tanks" look like regular rubbermaid (or equivalent) containers, would it not be possible to set up some new ones, put your algae bettas in those, and do a thorough cleaning of the infested ones?

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
jac ~ I suggested the melafix for both the algae, but also as a stress preventor somewhat... the box says "use when introducing new fish to the aquarium...

egyptdragon had a good point though. Since your bettas are accustomed to living in a rubbermaid bucket, surely you must have a couple of extras (even smaller ones) that you can put the fish in while doing a thorough hot water (and possibly some oxyclean) washing?

edit -- that's a pretty cool set up you have for your bettas! Must be a pain in the butt to change the water though...

~Tara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store