algae in a 172g koi tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ananda

AC Members
Feb 15, 2002
Chicagoland
Visit site
One of Chicago's western suburbs...near Naperville.

I knew we had some phosphates in the tap water, but I didn't realize the levels were that high!

Last edited:

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
They're not usually. Like I said the highest I remember ever seeing was about 0.5 ppm. Municipalities with aging distribution systems add zinc orthophosphate to their water as a corrosion inhibitor. This keeps the water from ripping off all the scale and 'junk' that has built up in the water lines over the years. Unless of course, you're on a well, then you could be talking about ground water intrusion (run-off from farm fields).

In any case, I hope you find the answer to your problem.
judy

Fishiebusiness

Fish Newbie
Oct 8, 2001
Berkeley, CA
www.picturetrail.com
The one time i had green water it was due to ammonia from over feeding. Once i had ammonia under control, i used a diatomfilter to remove the stuff and it never came back.

Ananda

AC Members
Feb 15, 2002
Chicagoland
Visit site
> Municipalities with aging distribution systems add zinc orthophosphate to their water as a corrosion inhibitor.

That could easily be the source of it... since we're on the Chicago area water system. The water's from Lake Michigan (yup, piped over 30 miles).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store