Algae on java moss!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SKAPSYCHO

Skafunkrastapunk! Senior Member
Apr 14, 1999
Collegeville, MN
:D Hello,
Some kind of stringy, thread-like algae is on my java moss:eek:. It is green and seems to like being in the current, since it is leaning out into it. The culprit (the algae, I mean;) ) is very fine and reminds me of spider silk, except for it's green tint.
Any ideas as far as creatures to eat it (for a 5 gallon), remedies, or what I should do?
Thanks in advance ya'll,
~MattJay

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Lets see if we can find the source of your algae =)

We're going to need to know the following:
Tank size
Amount of lighting and duration of lighting
Fertillizing routine
Nitrate reading
CO2 Injection (yes or no. If yes, what is the ppm?)

I had the same problem with java moss when I first started out... turned out it was a nutrient problem. Once I got the nutrient problem down, the stuff just dissappeared. =)

-Richer

SKAPSYCHO

Skafunkrastapunk! Senior Member
Apr 14, 1999
Collegeville, MN
My specs (partial)

Hey hey,
I have a 13 watt compact fluorescent bulb on my 5 gallon. Fish include 3 small cherry barbs, a very small platy, and 2 ghost shrimp. I do not have a nitrate test kit, but I was told it was low when I went to a LFS. I will do more frequent water changes, though, and feed less. Lights are on for about 10 or 11 hrs. a day (still need a timer) and I use no CO2. I have flourite as a substrate and add nothing.
Thanks,
~Matt

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I see a couple of problems with your setup.

No CO2 - with that much lighting on your tank, you really should consider getting CO2 injection going. Else you are asking for an algae bloom. You want to shoot for a CO2 level of about 15-20 ppm. Check this chart out on how to determine your CO2 level - http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/table_01.shtml
Nitrates - We're going to definately need to know this one. Get a test kit and find out what your levels are. With a high light setup and CO2 injection, you want to keep your nitrates at around 5-10 ppm.

In a nutshell:

Get CO2 injection if you want to use that 13watt light. Or reduce your lighting to under 2watts/gallon, or add a bunch of floating plants to cut back on lighting exposure.
If you go the CO2 route, keep your nitrates at around 5-10 ppm at all times.

HTH
-Richer

wetmanNY

AC Members
Easy!

Take up all your Java Moss. Put it into a large jar full of the aquarium water. Put it in the pitch-dark closet for four days. Rinse it out daily.

Java Moss that gets gray from settled detritus that doesn't easily squeeze out can be laid in a tray of blackworms. They will eat it clean and green in a few days. Fat blackworms.

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
Are these resulting fat worms edible for our fish or would they result in unhealthy fish?

Originally posted by wetmanNY

Java Moss that gets gray from settled detritus that doesn't easily squeeze out can be laid in a tray of blackworms. They will eat it clean and green in a few days. Fat blackworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store