Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Way too much lights on time. I'd reduce it to ~8hrs/day. That little bit of algae or could be diatoms will probably wipe right off.

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Way too much lights on time. I'd reduce it to ~8hrs/day. That little bit of algae or could be diatoms will probably wipe right off.

I did notice the last time I did a water change and cleaned the rock that it came off but I hadn’t gotten it all off. I thought I had but once I put the rock back in I could see that there was still some on there. Do you think if I just wash the rock and plant and get it all of and start leaving the light on for less time that it would be fine?

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Looks like diatoms to me. Is this a newly set up tank? If so, it will hopefully run its course and be gone in a little bit. Are you using tap or RO water? If you're using tap, it might be worth testing your water for silicates.

I got myself a silicate test kit made by Seachem. I water change using tap water. Tested my tap water and found I had 7.8 ppm silicates. Those high numbers resulted in cronic amounts of diatoms, and NEVER would've resolved on it's own. I now pretreat my water with Phosgard using a canister filter and 55 gallon heavy duty totes I got from Home Depot. Haven't had diatoms since.

I just noticed you're in S.C. I live in Murrells Inlet, SC. We are a good distance apart but may share similar water qualities.

Reactions: Jazmin0303

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like diatoms to me. Is this a newly set up tank? If so, it will hopefully run its course and be gone in a little bit. Are you using tap or RO water? If you're using tap, it might be worth testing your water for silicates.

I got myself a silicate test kit made by Seachem. I water change using tap water. Tested my tap water and found I had 7.8 ppm silicates. Those high numbers resulted in cronic amounts of diatoms, and NEVER would've resolved on it's own. I now pretreat my water with Phosgard using a canister filter and 55 gallon heavy duty totes I got from Home Depot. Haven't had diatoms since.

I just noticed you're in S.C. I live in Murrells Inlet, SC. We are a good distance apart but may share similar water qualities.

The tank has been up since January and this just barely popped up. I am using tap water for water changes, but this never happened in the previous months, I used to have a little bowl for my previous betta and that Never happened in his bowl either

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with FF, 8 hours of light max. You can also split the time lights are on, so when you're around they're on. Maybe a couple hours in am, then most in the evening.

It's also good to have the lights turn off 30-60 minutes before the room lights go off. It gives the fish a chance to ramp down before being in pitch dark. An inexpensive timer can be an easy way to achieve that without having to plan too much. I use them on all tanks, they cost $5 or 6. It saves on power bills too, although I have solar electric panels :D

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
I agree with FF, 8 hours of light max. You can also split the time lights are on, so when you're around they're on. Maybe a couple hours in am, then most in the evening.

It's also good to have the lights turn off 30-60 minutes before the room lights go off. It gives the fish a chance to ramp down before being in pitch dark. An inexpensive timer can be an easy way to achieve that without having to plan too much. I use them on all tanks, they cost $5 or 6. It saves on power bills too, although I have solar electric panels :D
I’ll have to look into a timer then!

One question about a different problem, what do I do about my betta overeating? He’s started eating my snail’s algae wafers even though he gets his own food which makes him really bloated and I keep trying to not feed him for a day which helps the bloating but doesn’t solve the overeating...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store