am I the only one...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Am I the only person who looks at reviews for aquarium products on online outlets, and get baffled by reviews written by people who obviously don't get it? Or do I just not get it?

Example the first: This powerhead is too powerful for my 10 gallon tank. I put it on my sponge filter, and it made a mess.

Example the second: This cholla wood has no relevant instructions.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I just laugh....

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It is somewhat frustrating especially if you are seriously considering buying X product.

What aggravates me the most in these 'reviews' is that often they don't have anything to do about the exact model or product I am checking out! I'm not just talking about aquarium products either.

Reactions: authmal

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
And, many are from folks are new to the hobby or upgrading to new style filter. Sometimes that causes poor review based on inexperience.

A good local club is a fairly solid source of assistance.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Wish I had a local club that seemed appropriate for me. The ones I found in a search seemed... let's say... bit too specific in their focus, and that focus didn't interest me. I don't want to pay dues for something that does everything it can to tell me my interests don't mesh with theirs, on the off chance the description is wrong.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Unless it's 100's of reviews for a product, I read them for entertainment value. Like said, most of the reviews are comical.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Wish I had a local club that seemed appropriate for me. The ones I found in a search seemed... let's say... bit too specific in their focus, and that focus didn't interest me. I don't want to pay dues for something that does everything it can to tell me my interests don't mesh with theirs, on the off chance the description is wrong.
Might be worth going to a meeting to see for sure. Several of the clubs I belong to have descriptions that don't necessarily mesh with what actually happens, but even for those that do, the members will often keep other fish and tanks, so it's still a good connection. The exception might be killie fish and to a lesser degree, reef clubs. A cichlid only club likely has people with community setups, for example. Planted tank clubs usually have fish and shrimp.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the thought, OG. I'll keep that in mind. I feel I'm pretty anti-social in person, so having the energy to not be introverted after a day of work pretending to be extroverted isn't always on the list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store