Amateur hobbyist, trying to move bigger

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Personally, I would go much bigger than 100g for a fully grown pleco, but if 100g is what you can reasonably afford and fit into your home, then it's still better than a 55g.

Something that helps with skittish fish is having more hiding spots. They will be more brave if they know there's a few places they can run and hide to at any moment.

djfsolo

AC Members
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks- Perhaps a 200G with a few extra fish will be sufficient. Hopefully my pleco can last another year or so before I drop that purchase.

I just wanted to thank you all again for the advice and information, I'm pretty sure the tank is done it's cycle. Levels are staying consistent and I haven't had to do a water change in 3 days or so.

Will update with pics and stocking as this build continues!

djfsolo

AC Members
Nov 2, 2009
Ok guys, I think the tank is fully cycled and with NO CASUALTIES :D

Everyone looks healthy, seem to be eating and growing appropriately. I'm gonna see if we can keep things normal with weekly water changes.

Replaced the old Proquatics heater with a brand new Eheim Jager 200W, seems to be working fine so far- very accurate!

At any rate it's time to ADD as far as I'm concerned, right now I have my eyes on the blue acara cichlid- any warning signs/bells about this? I did plenty of research and my tank should be able to support it environmentally, and it seems to be of a good temperament for communities. Are they good in numbers? I considered getting two

Thanks for sticking with me throughout this process!

Also random question, do fish NOT like a lot of oxygen in the water for any reason? I currently have two bubblers installed in there and while they seem quite alright, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing bubble overkill or anything (sorry if bubbler is the incorrect term)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store