Angel fish abnormal behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hythyr

AC Members
Oct 21, 2018
Hi, i have a 55g tank set up for 4 years. It currently has 3 1.5yo angel fish and 1 4yo gold fish with 1 4yo pleco. My youngest & smallest angel fish is white with black stripes. I noticed 2 days sgo it wasnt wanting to come up and eat. The top of its head has turned a orangish color. I just did a 50% water change yesterday and noticed its staying at the top of the tank and taking frequent sips of air. Still no interest in food this morning. All other fish are normal. The 24g of water i added to the tank was distilled bottled water since we are on a well and the last time i changed 50% with it it killed my 3yo b/w striped angel. Its head turned the same color but i don't remember it keeping to the top of the tank. I have a video but looks like i can only upload a picture to this site. What do i do?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think that you water was the cause of the initial death, maybe, but do not think so. A picture would help a lot.

Hythyr

AC Members
Oct 21, 2018
Since this morning its now floating abnormally around the tank. I think something is wrong with its swim bladder now. This is the same thing that happened to my one that looked exactly like this one except the other one lived to be 3 instead of 1.5 years. And no other fish are affected.

Hythyr

AC Members
Oct 21, 2018
Sadly i knew it was going to pass when it started floating upside down. It got stuck to the filter but was breathing. We mercifully ended its suffering. We are very sad :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I suspect your black & white angels are really "koi" angels, Their orange coloring often only comes out when they're older...But that doesn't address your other issues.

Do you have actual readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?

You fish stocking is less than optimal for the long term...

Reactions: dudley

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I suspect your black & white angels are really "koi" angels, Their orange coloring often only comes out when they're older...But that doesn't address your other issues.

Angels tend to need higher temps, and goldfish tend to thrive in lower. Plus, goldfish are "dirty" in that they create a lot of waste. Test readings (preferably from a liquid kit) are going to be useful in ruling things out.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you had to euthanize your angel, it's always a hard thing to do.

I didn't see your pics when I answered you. That pink area by it's eye doesn't look good. It could have been a wound or a sign of disease.

The orange color is normal in some angel strains.

Distilled water is not a great idea, fish need some minerals in their water. Do you add anything to it to help with that?

Reactions: dudley

Hythyr

AC Members
Oct 21, 2018

No i dont have any readings. My strips are very old and need to pick up some new ones. What is a liquid kit?

Hythyr

AC Members
Oct 21, 2018
Angels tend to need higher temps, and goldfish tend to thrive in lower. Plus, goldfish are "dirty" in that they create a lot of waste. Test readings (preferably from a liquid kit) are going to be useful in ruling things out.
The gold fish is thriving. Swims around like it has adhd lol. I keep my tank between 75-78°. For the angels. Will pickup some testing supplies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store