~~**angel Fish**~~

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
I love my angel fish to peices. Ive had her for about a week so for, and at 1st she was very timid since her ex husband died on day 3. but now she's perkin up and i talk to her( i know, its lame). when i come up to the tank she swims around in front of me. She ussually hides in this little treasure box ornament i have in there(she'll soon outgrow it) and when i show her the bottle of flake food she swims right out and goes to the top, she soo smart, she knows its feeding time :clap: :clap: . Shes my prescious, her name is margarita. This post isnt gonna serve anyone any good, i just wanted to let ya know what she's awesome. I always hear about ppl getting attached to their fish and i never felt to much emotional attachment, but with my angels, she's soooooooooooooooo cute!!!! :fairy: :fairy: :fairy: anyone wanna join me in boasting about angels, feel free!!!

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
I am glad you are enjoying your fish and sorry to hear about the loss of the male.

Angels are a favourite of mine for the same pavlovian reactions. Mine actually recognise the colour (so i believe!) of their food - they ignore the veggy flakes and only come up to the front when the red tub comes out!

Mine all now hand feed when i use frozen foods and they all do their little dance at the front of the tank when i come home!

Awesome fish and i have heard they can live for up to ten years in captive environments

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Yeah i think angels are pretty smart fish, mine always swims up to me when i walk up to the tank never scared, and will even eat out of my hand. I guess cause i had it since it was a baby...saying it cause i dont knwo if its a male or female...How can you tell?

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
TipStylez said:
saying it cause i dont knwo if its a male or female...How can you tell?
I was told this the other day on this site (how good is this site?!!!!!) - females have a fleshy lump after the anal fin but only once sexually mature so a while yet if like me you bought juveniles.

This site has some good forums for Angels for background reading, although I have not found it as useful and as quick a response from the experts here
http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php

Last edited:

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
this is how u tell, ive become pretty good at making angel pairs, in tiger angels, like mine, the female can fade its black stripes, and become totally silver when she is stressed, the males cant. with other angels, just add a couple in, and the males start to gorw a hump on their head when they interact with females. and the male with the bigest hump on his head is the alfa male of the tank, the leader of the entire group. the females already keep ther head smooth and at a nice curved slant going up to their finns. So if u ahve tiger angels, u can tlel whos the female when its colors fade, and with marbles and other angels just watch for the hump on the males head

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
and i actually bought a male today at petco, i look at the few tiger angels, and he was growing a very noticable hump on his head, he must have been the alfa male of the tank, i took him home and when i added him to the females tank they quickly paired up and for the last 3 hours they have been right by eachotheres side, its soo cute

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Hummm, i read somwhere that you cant tell if a angel is a male or female untill their matured, and females has a lil red dot behind her anal fin....hold up let me go see if mine has a bump on its head, its a Marble angel btw.

I guess its a Female, i see no bump just a smooth curve up to her fin, her bodys almost fully round just for the lips and the fins.

Eh...il try to take a pic with my crappy camera phone

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
My angels are also probably the most personable fish in my tank... I have 3 of them. Sometimes, I like to sit in a chair on the end of my 125g and look down the tank the long way (it's kinda a neat perspective to watch the fish swim all the way down and back again) Anyway, my angelfish will come and sit right in front of my face near the glass. It's like they're jealous and they don't want me watching anyone but them... They're silly!

:p:

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
this is for aknim

i was reading ur list of fish for ur bigger tank, and by the time i got to the 6 rainbow fish, i was humming the x-mas song and i finished it off by saying, "and a partrage and a Pear tree!!

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
LOL Stix - Yea, I'm kinda a sucker for a fishy hard luck case... The lavendar, platinum and blue 3 spot were all in a tank together at the LFS. The only ones of their kind. I think they were trade-ins. I felt bad for them and had to give them a nice, big new home! ;) That's how I came to have Gourami's in the tank at all, because they weren't in my original stocking plan!

:huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store