Angelfish and Cory Habrosus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Hi guys, I've got a 29 gal densely planted tank that was originally going to be for a pair of angels, but then I fell in love with cory habrosus. They are the mid-size ones, not true pygmys, but not full sized either. They are the cutest little guys, by far my favourites out of all our tanks.

My questions are:
  • can I put one angel in a densely planted 29 gallon with smallish cories and have any hope for cory survival?
  • I am hoping to include a pair of GBRs once the tank is old enough, it's about 2 months old right now and fully cycled. Could I have one angel, two GBR, and a school of mid sized cories in a 29 planted with lots of swords and driftwood and a broken line of sight, with cory hiding places?
What do you guys think?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got 7 panda corys in my 55, that also has a large koi angel among other fish. No issues what so ever. Same with my 29g. 6 julii corys and a blushing angel (and other fish).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would think that Habrosus would be fine with "an" angel. A densely planted tank the Bio-cycle is shorter and easier, but how do you know it is cycled? Did you cycle first then add plants??

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
I used a seeded filter from one of our other tanks, and I do test the water :) Zero ammonia and nitrites everytime, just the expected nitrates.
Thanks for the feedback, glad to know my adorable little guys would be okay! Lol there's a wrench in the plans though, the gorgeous angels at the lfs have very visible camallanus worms hanging from their tushies. They'll get medicated food.. but from what I've read that's a really difficult one to get rid of and I don't think I'm up for it. We can't get fenbendazole easily where we are. :( Really really sucks, they are a beautifully bright blue zebra pattern, with black eyes.
There's another store in town, with better priced (lol we know a guy) and smaller angels.. they're just not as pretty. Mostly regular black and silver marbles. I'm considering getting 6 or so (they're just under quarter-sized) and watching to get a pair? It'd be for our 75 gal planted community, not as densely planted and does have danios though, so I don't know if that's a good idea?
I've never had angels before, I just love how regal they look in an aquarium and I've always wanted to keep them.
Any advice?

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
**edit: levamisole for the worms, sorry, brain fart :)

Also, the smaller angels are closer to a nickel than a quarter in size. They've been at the lfs for a few weeks now, they haven't had a single one die... and these guys kill angels like no other store I've ever seen. Chain store, new manager, never worked with fish before, learning but the curve is obviously steep. Lol and the stubborn is strong with that one! His buddy said it'd be fine... :/

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
:)LOL, good luck

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
If its nice blue angels you want, I'd recommend Joe Gibbs, or Carol Francis for the new stock..both in Aquabid listings..worth shipping costs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store