Angelfish breeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
So I've decided to breed angelfish for an FFA proficiency. I already have a pair so all I'll have to do is move them to a 55. Now I know it will take a while for them to raise the fry but my question is can the parents stay with the fry until dime sized?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have done it that way, but it depends on the fish. Most would not eat the babies, then........

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
The problem there is..Anytime after a few weeks old, the fry begin to nibble at parents' fins and body slime. It is hard to detect when it begins, but be careful that babies don't damage adults.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
The issue is, 'if' the pair can 'Parent' raise the fry..
many of the domesticated Angels do not ..they tend to eat the fry by the time they get to free swimming.

keep in mind that often the pair are ready to spawn again in 2-3 weeks.. I often wonder if this is what creates the situation where they eat the fry.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
I guess I can see if the will raise them the first time and if they do I'll keep a close watch on the parents and if not I will take them out the second time.
Thanks for the help.

Tiare

Registered Member
Feb 15, 2014
I have a pair with half dime sized fry in the same tank. They rae (according to the seller) a cross between peru and altum. The parents have spawned twice after the fry got free swimming. The first time they did it when i was at work and when i came home i saw that half the fry population was gone, so they must have eaten them to protect the eggs. Next morning the eggs was gone.

Then everything went back to normal and they really do take good care of their fry. Then they spawned again but then i took the eggs away and everything went back to normal again and no fry was eaten. So it looks like that`s what they do when they spawn again.

Now i`m pondering, either keep taking the eggs away until the fry are big enough to not be eaten or i move the parents back to their old tank with the other fish. When the fry are dime sized or a bit more i`m only planning to keep 4 of them and sell the rest.

What i wanted to do was trying to let them grow up with the parents just to see how it would work out. As for now they are doing fine and they haven`t yet started to nibble on the parents more than very occasionally.

The fry are 16 days old since free swimming and are taking on the shape of an angel and getting stripes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store