angelfish gill scratching?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I have an albino angelfish that for the first time last night, I saw him try to scratch his outer gill area. I don't see any signs of ich on him or anyone else in the tank and I don't see any other physical problems with him. He is not quite as active as usual, and he doesn't have much of an appetite. He will follow the flakes around in the water like he wants to eat them, but he won't. He will eat just a few very small flakes with each feeding, and then just chases the others down, but doesn't take them in. I did a water change last night, and after the change is when I noticed him acting funny. The pH is 7.0 and ammonia & nitrites are at 0. His feces looked fine last night from what I saw too. I also have salt in the tank at 1 tablespoon/5 gallons.

Is the best & safest course of action to do a salt water dip to remove anything that might be clinging to his gills?

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I also have some metro flakes that I can try feeding him since he is still eating a little bit and see if that helps at all. Would a salt water bath dislodge any parasites that might be clinging to his gills causing the irritation? Their color and function appear normal and he doesn't seem to be breathing heavy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store