Angelfish tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hi all. I have 9 fairly large angels sharing a 29 gallon at the moment. I thought I would have gotten them into roomier arrangements by now but spit happens! Four will be going into two 29 gallon tanks for breeding. The other 5 will be moving to a 75. Some of those are defective and or not what I want to keep so will be given away and replaced with nice specimens from my breeders. In the 75 I'm looking to eventually have 6 angels 16 serpae tetras and 6 other cichlids. I am torn between keyholes and rainbows cichlids. So, which would be a better fit with the angels and in a group of six themselves?

Thank you!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, Keyholes and Rainbows have the same temperament.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Thanks Tanker. I never kept either and just wanted to be sure that neither had a more serious cichlid attitude.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have kept both with Angels over the years without problems, till they were ready to breed. Then no fishes were safe :(

The Rainbows, IMO, got more "Protective" when breeding.

Reactions: Finster

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Going to "try" to remove any that pair up and keep non-breeding groups of angels and whichever, keyholes or rainbows, I end up with. At this point I'm thinking keyholes but it depends some on supply as much as anything. I'd like to get everything I need from one place online to save on shipping but seems like I may have to compromise. Maybe lemon tetras instead of serpaes. I have a couple weeks before I get the 75 up and running so I guess I have some time to look. Might even see if the local PetSmart or Petco has the serpaes. Ugh!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I don't recommend serpaes with angels, although if you are willing to do some special things for them it might work without them picking on the angels and other fish as much. Two things drive their fin nipping behavior: insufficient territory and lack of protein in their diet. The 75 may be large enough, but if their territory needs and the other fish compete for space there could be some fin nipping as they protect their territories. You will see them nipping at each other if there is not enough room in the tank for the numbers you have. The other reason they nip fins is due to diet. They need something high protein like betta flakes, without that they supplement their intake with fins. Mini piranhas in feeding behavior, won't hesitate to chow down on a dead fish if left to it and could go after a weak fish with the numbers you're planning.

I do think you could keep some if you paid attention and didn't start with the whole school right off. You'd have to do some observation as you increased your school numbers to find out how many is pushing the limit on space, because if they feel socially cramped or put on by other fish in their space they do defend it and that usually involves loss of fin to the other fish.

Reactions: Finster

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Thanks Snakeice. I've heard that in some cases they can be nippers and others that it isn't ever an issue. Good to know some of the triggers and what to watch out for.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
It's a shame. I really would like the red pop that the serpaes would add to the tank but it might be too much of a risk since I want to have a nice little school of about 16. I like black phantoms but there would be no contrast to the angels and I really don't want to do the "neon thing". It just might have to be lemons. Oh well I guess I'll see if I can make lemonade from lemons!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store