angler fish in 28g nano-cube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
So my dad will be handing his 28 gallon nano cube, been setup for 1.5 years now, over to me. Its packed pretty good with live rock and corals. Toadstool, hammercoral, frogspawn, polyps (yellow and some blue) birdsnest, and a few others I cannot recall the names. 5 months ago my dad used some poison meant to kill the flatworms, but apparently there was too many and the release from the dead ones killed one of two ocellaris, and the pajama cardinal. So now it just has the one clown and a big ol' banded coral shrimp (I hate him)

I was thinking on taking a couple small pieces of rock out and rearranging the tank. Then taking out the coral shrimp and bring him to work (I work at a LFS fyi :naughty:)

I want to get some sort of angler fish, I see a bunch of them are cautious with reefs, so if anyone has good information to share on them such as behavior with corals, behavior with clownfish (I will get another to recomplete the pair or get rid of this1 depending on the angler), and the feeding habits etc...

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
no clowns with angler and corals should be ok. they will eat anything smaller than them
^ Yep. And this is literally true. :laugh:

A 1" Angler will take out a 1" Clown. This makes them incompatible, since the Angler will always eventually be bigger, or at least equal, in size to a Clown (a Maroon Clown [larger clown] being equal in size to a Sargassum Frog [smaller Angler], there really isn't a combination guaranteed to work).

"Reef safe with caution" applies to two types of fish. The obvious is the potential coral nippers (Tobies, Dwarf Angels, etc.). The less obvious is the invert/fish eaters. For instance, my Lantern Bass is considered "reef safe with caution", even though he'd never touch a coral. But if he were hungry (or aggressive) enough he could take out every invertebrate in the tank. Even ones his size.

An Angler wouldn't be much threat to a coral. But it will kill any shrimp you could put in there. And any fish you could put in a 29 gallon would be on the menu also. If you got an Angler it'd be the only fish in the tank and the clean-up-crew would be limited to snails (small hermits may work).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store