Anubias Leaves Melting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
Hi all,
I have a few Anubis in my 29 gallon tank. On one of them, the leaves have started melting. I was wondering if I should pull the leaves off or just leave it be.

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depends how many leaves it is..

Maybe remove the least healthy at first,see how it changes.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, I would do as dougall suggests. Snip off the most yellow or any mushy leaves at first.

How are the rhizomes attached to wood or rocks? Sometimes rubber bands or too tight thread can cause problems. But it can also just be a matter of the plant getting used to your tank conditions. Have you had it for long? Say 2-3 months or so?

Sometimes if the leaves "melt" but the rhizome is still healthy it will begin to grow happy again. The only time I truly killed an anubias was when it had a dark brown thread or 3 inside within the rhizome...a rot from inside? I couldn't figure out how to stop it. No matter how far I cut back the rhizome to healthy tissue it came back. I finally just threw it out...too much bother for more sickly plant rescue attempts

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Always remove dead or dying leave. That way the plant cannot waste any energy/food on a dead cause. In land gardening we learn to dead head- i.e. remove the flowers that have died or are doing so.

clowntank1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store