Any compatability issues with a clown pleco and bristlenose in a 90 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I'll admit it. I dreaded getting one of these ugly things (plecos) but after getting a clown(candystripe) and watching it work, I can see how people actually like them;) . Now I'm thinking of getting a bristlenose too.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
As long as you have enough caves and hidey holes, you should be fine. I have 3 ancistrus, 1 chocolate, and a butterfly in 40. While the adult male bristlenose is clearly top dog, I've never had a problem. The clowns are normally less aggressive, so it might lose it's current cave, but that's it.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
In a 90gl it should be fine. I have a rubbernose in my 90g and will be adding a pair of BN soon. But becareful that the clown might not get enough to eat. They are pretty shy and hide lots and the BN plecos are out all the time and eat anything. You should watch to see if the clown is eating.

Also make sure there is driftwood itn eh tank as they are wood eaters.

The 2 pleco should be fine together

Zack

AC Members
Jun 5, 2003
Kodiak Alaska
Visit site
They will be just fine, they would be fine in a much smaller tank even, i deffinately wouldnt worry about the clown not getting enough to eat, mine are little pigs, and do him and yourself a favor and get two or three more of em.

Reactions: JEGuerra

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
No problem. They are not really that aggressive. If they have them in your area the albino bristlenoses are pretty cool. My albino pair made me fall in love with plecos. I never really liked them before. They are great little plecos.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Thanks all!!! Since the BN will evict the clown out of it's favorite cave (which is a tall fake hollow stump), will it try to evict the 2 upside-down cats and loaches that frequent it too? I do have 2 other caves and 2 pcs of driftwood with nooks/crannies/overhangs/hideouts.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can't speak for them all, but my bristlenose completely ignores the UDC, unless I re-arrange averything. Then the pair of UDC that hide under a powerhead (don't ask me-there are 3 caves for every hiding fish I have) have to share until I quit moving things. He doesn't chase the off, just moves the over a bit. Much nicer than when the chocolate gets in trouble--his knives come out then.

JEGuerra

AC Members
Jun 30, 2021
Camera Used
Nikon D5300
I'll admit it. I dreaded getting one of these ugly things (plecos) but after getting a clown(candystripe) and watching it work, I can see how people actually like them;) . Now I'm thinking of getting a bristlenose too.
Thank you for making this thread as I have been dreading for weeks my decision to get a pair of bn pleco while already having a clown in my tank. This post was a lifesaver!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store