Any disasters with tanks leaking (or exploding!)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I just had one. This is my first tank run on canisters, so I decided to clean it out this afternoon. Now, I consider myself extremely competent in mechanics, you know. That's why I wanted to kill someone after this episode.

So, I'm cleaning out the canister. I unplug the canister filter's plug, and, still wondering how to unplug the hoses without spilling water over all hell, I figure these little instructions would tell me if it did, and they don't mention it, so I dont bother getting my buckets. Anyway, I pull out the safety latch and pull out the adapter with the two hoses attached. I feel a red tab; I push that thing all the way back too. "Good thing I did that; that probably locks the thing." I pull it out, I hear water. "Aww, hell." I plug the two hoses back in, thinking thatthe hoses are just empty, (because there must be a remote stopper on the intake that I activated when I pulled the thing out? Don't ask what I was thinking.) So now the water is starting to push it's way out of the hose's - kinda like keeping a full pitcher of water over a running faucet. Now the water is coming through the canister itself. "This shouldn't happen. Hmm." I need a bucket. So, I leave the hoses on the floor, (in the tank stand, not realizing the flow,) and run down in the basement. Upon reaching the lower level, (right under my room with the tank in it,) I hear the sound of dripping water. As it hasn't rained here since about October, I said to myself, "That isn't what I think it is." Yup. I grabbed a bucket and bolted upstairs, and threw the two hoses in the thing.

I found the red tab I thought saved me; soon as I closed the bugger the water stopped. First thing I did, (being the mechanical man I am,) saw that I had lost about an inch of water; plugged that into the calculater and realized I lost about 2.5 Gallons.

Does that count?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store