Any one ever use the plant gro bulbs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
Now don't LAUGH!!! :rolleyes: I was at the super market yesterday and noticed they have regular screw in bulbs that claim decent plant growth. They are like $6.99 and are like 60 watts a piece...

I only ask this, because I am trying to grow baby plants in jars on a shelf, like java fern and moss till they can be parted off. I would think if I placed one of these over some jars could one of them give them some good? The only light they are getting at the moment is from distant sunlight but not direct.

And of course java ferns and moss will grow in a closet. I just think the overhead full spectrum light would be better?

Any ever use any of these before??? Just curious???

Spankey

Shiftaltumlock

No mater where ya go, there ya are
Sep 4, 2001
Hurst, TX
shiftaltnumlock.cm.nu
You can get the curly-Q type screw-in bulbs that are rated at 5000K or higher for the same money. They use 13 watts and produce the equivalent of 60 watts. I would look for these instead. What was the Kelven rating of the bulbs you saw?

Note: you can get the bulbs I spoke of at Home Depot or Lowes. Just make sure they are not the "Cool White" bulbs. These are a lower K rating.

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
Shift-

Thanks. I will have to check them out.. I forgot to get the kelvin rating on the bulbs. But I would assume its what plants need. Next time I am there. I will have to check.

How much are the ones at lowes or the depot? Maybee they would be better?

Could I mount like 3 of them over my 55 gallon to get 180 watts? Are the CF? Should I just stick with the 4 four foot full spect. flourescents.....

Spankey

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
If they are in separate jars, you could also stick them on a window ledge. . . for free!

I use a 23W spiral screw in bulb in conjucntion with my NO flourescent bulbs and they work great.

BTW, jars for propogating. I like that idea. Think I might try it.

Last edited:

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Spankey, I think you misunderstood on the equivalent deal. They mean that you would get the same equivalent *visible* lighting for human needs. That doesn't mean that the lower wattage lights would be able to replace that amount of lighting you have for your plants. Putting 3 of the 13 watts over your 55 gallon would still make you underlighted for your plant tank. Maybe Slip knows how to calculate such a thing for the plants but I have a feeling it would get pretty complex.

fishhead

Nov 27, 2002
Austin, TX
I use these sort of screw in CF bulbs also, they work fine. Here is a site of a guy describing his setup with them:

http://members.carolina.net/hyrb/lighting.html

The key is that you need to ignore the big number they prominently display on the bulb. That number is an incandescent equivalence signifying that the lumen output of the bulb is comparable to an incandescent bulb of that wattage. Look at the fine print to find the actual wattage and base your calculations on that. For a 60 it is probably a 13 watt bulb. If it really used 60 watts it would be incredibly hot. I have a 33 watt bulb (I think the incandescent equivalent was something like 225), and in less than an hour it melted the platic in the hood near it - I redesigned the setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store