Any snail eaters for a 10 gallon community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmh

Registered Member
Apr 28, 2003
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I have a 10 gallon planted community tank with 5 neon tetras, a betta, an african dwarf frog and about 2-300 snails.

The tank has been established as is for a couple of months, ammonia/nitrite: 0, nitrate: >10. PH: 7.2 Lighting: 36 watt PC.

I don't mind the snails too bad, but they are kind of hard on the plants. I would like to know about some fish that would enjoy some escargot.

Thanks in advance! :)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I wouldn't be surprised if your African Dwarf Frog started eating some of his tankmates. However, kuhli loaches might be appropriate for a Dwarf Frog-less tank.

dmh

Registered Member
Apr 28, 2003
Visit site
ChilDawg,

Thanks for the reply.

Right now, the Dwarf frog is both too small, and too fat and happy with the shrimp pellets he eats to go after the neons. He has checked out some of the snails, but has not shown any interest in dining on them.

He is the coolest little guy! It will be a pity to take him back to the fish store, but I have always liked kuhli loaches too. I might give it a try! Thanks again ChilDawg!

Oh, one more thing, my brother... He is risen indeed!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You may want to reduce the nutrients available for the snails instead. In most tanks, snails reach epidemic levels when the fish are overfed, leaving lots of waste around for the snails. Since you don't have anything that cleans the substrate, it's likely this is why you have so many snails. Cut feedings in half, and see if there's an improvement.

Kuhli's don't always go after snail eggs. I have 5 kuhli's in a tank that is currently supporting my dwarf puffers snail habit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store