Anybody Know any Good Deals on Pond Vacs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
After a quick Google search it appears I'm looking at about $200+ for a decent one, think I can find a better deal out there?

I've got some pretty hardcore leaves built up at the bottom, plus the house is in the woods so I can plan on tons more leaves falling.

Any tips from the veteran pond keepers, things I should look for?

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Not a large pond veteran, but I had an 18' above ground pool for several years which had a leaf and acorn problem. Have you looked at pool cleaning equipment? Online I can find a pool Leaf Skimmer "flat net", rake (actually a deep net) and pole for $60 total before shipping.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
After a quick Google search it appears I'm looking at about $200+ for a decent one, think I can find a better deal out there?

I've got some pretty hardcore leaves built up at the bottom, plus the house is in the woods so I can plan on tons more leaves falling.

Any tips from the veteran pond keepers, things I should look for?
Pond vacuuming is something I am still working on after 3+yrs on having my pond running. With leaves 1st line of defense is to cover the pond with netting when the leaves are falling to simply keep as many out of the pond as possible. 2nd is a good skimming system to pull as many leaves as possible to the filter before sinking. 3rd is manual netting them out of the bottom of the pond. And that should take care of 99% of your leaves. Vacuuming is more needed for the fine stuff or like dead algae, small stones (from lily pots) etc.

I setup a pool pump with leaf basket and DIY handle/vacuum head the 1st year that worked well but the basket clogged quickly (didn't pre net the bottom) and it was a pain to re-prime every time I need to empty the basket.

Then I only netted the junk out since then. This year though there is more leaves and gunk then usual so I am considering setting up an air driven vacuum. Biggest issue for me is there is no where close enough to dump the waste water. But if you are a DIYer at all check out air pond vacuums.

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
i bought the 600 dollar matala vac it works well but it could be stronger, oak leaves and or other firm leaves can be a challenge. but for a large pond such as mine 12,000 i didn't want to be there vacuuming all weekend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store