Anything advice on my aquarium? Not sure i like it that much

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
I can not see the link you just attached, I have no idea why, anyway I look for it as "Plant growht substrate" of the Tropica brand, and I must tell you that it is one of the best brands in products for plants, and plants too. This type of substrates are magnificent, but if they are removed they usually cloud the water, don't worry, make a change of 50% of water, add activated carbon to its filtration and no longer move the bottom of your tank, it will soon clear up.
ah damn, but yes thats the one!
i did the water change guess i just need the carbon, any suggestions on which one to buy? first time hearing of activated carbon! :)

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
You can use any recognized brand, I always use activated carbon in my tanks, even saltwater, it adds benefits to the quality of the water, it eliminates bad smells and it helps to clarify the water when it is cloudy, I have never hesitated to use it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
ah damn, but yes thats the one!
i did the water change guess i just need the carbon, any suggestions on which one to buy? first time hearing of activated carbon! :)
Carbon is chemical filtration, to get rid of for example a medicine. You just have dust from the substrate in the water, you don't need carbon for that, just patience or more filter floss.

You can use any recognized brand, I always use activated carbon in my tanks, even saltwater, it adds benefits to the quality of the water, it eliminates bad smells and it helps to clarify the water when it is cloudy, I have never hesitated to use it.
How often do you replace it?

Last edited:
Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is that your vacuum, that pipette? I hope you have 1 with a say, a 1+ inch diameter or water changes will take forever even in a 20g.

I agree with tl, filter floss would help much more than carbon for tiny particulates. It will clog pretty fast but it's cheap & easy to replace. Did you say what filter you have? I know some Brits prefer internal filters...other than a sponge filter in some cases, I just can't relate to taking up so much tank space with 1...cultural differences maybe, lol.

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
Is that your vacuum, that pipette? I hope you have 1 with a say, a 1+ inch diameter or water changes will take forever even in a 20g.

I agree with tl, filter floss would help much more than carbon for tiny particulates. It will clog pretty fast but it's cheap & easy to replace. Did you say what filter you have? I know some Brits prefer internal filters...other than a sponge filter in some cases, I just can't relate to taking up so much tank space with 1...cultural differences maybe, lol.
My filter is loaded with brown dust from the fertiliser, is that ok like that or should i squeeze it out?

my filter is aquael asap filter 300. its a sponge filter, would it still work for me?

haha i got a gravel cleaner that is just a stick to help me to the bottom to show you what i meant lol

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I recommend looking in to the problem, it's not normal to have bad smells or cloudy water in a planted tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Since you don't have any animals yet you can rinse it under tap water & squeeze the heck out of the sponge. You can do that as often as you like. After you have animals you want to use a bucket of tank or dechlorinated tap water also with lots of squeezing.

You might use a plastic cup or something when you remove the sponge to keep most of the dust from washing back into the tank.

I forget how you're cycling this tank, please tell us again...

I like the new black sand!

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
Since you don't have any animals yet you can rinse it under tap water & squeeze the heck out of the sponge. You can do that as often as you like. After you have animals you want to use a bucket of tank or dechlorinated tap water also with lots of squeezing.

You might use a plastic cup or something when you remove the sponge to keep most of the dust from washing back into the tank.

I forget how you're cycling this tank, please tell us again...

I like the new black sand!
Would i lose any beneficial bacteria doing this? Also any chance it would go away on its own?

yeah will do that :D

Erm, i know im doing a fish-less cycle now? i did have a fish before hand when i first had the tank because i got the fish by mistake with the plants! but now he is gone into hes new home and i have no fish :) its been around 3 weeks of constant water changes because of the fish and the merky water! waters clearing up just a bit of fertiliser on the objects which i will get cleaned :D

I like it too! thanks for the idea :D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I know you had the yoyo but also it was an accident, so I wasn't sure. I didn't feel like reading all again ;) Are you doing ammonia? I was thinking you'd done a "bacteria in a bottle" product. I've never used 1 but I believe Dr. Tim's 1 & Only & Tetra Safe Start (not just Tetra Safe, it's a dechlor) are the only kinds with the correct bacteria species...at least in the US. With those I think you dose it & add fish very soon after, a day or so, not weeks. Changing the substrate likely put a dent in BB, it's on all surfaces not just the filter. Plants help a bit too. Do you have a test kit?

If you're concerned about the bacteria then use tank or dechlorinated tap water. I don't think it'll just go away when really dusty like that. If it was brown algae on just surfaces it likely would go away after a while. That's often a part of new tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store